Questions on Rubicon Express lift and control arms

I'm going to purchase the RE7000 lift for my TJ (4.5"). I have a question on the lower control arms. Should I purchase the fixed lower control arms or go with adjustable? Teraflex has lower adjustables and was wondering why Rubicon doesn't offer this standard? Are the adjustable lowers really needed?

Who has the best prices online for these kits? Cheapest I have seen is red rock 4x4.

Thank you! Happy new year!

Reply to
nawt2smart

Best prices I have seen are on offroadtoystore.com . They give free shocks with every lift kit. The lowers help to dial in pinion angles, I would get them.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl

The RE7000 kit comes with adjustable upper control arms so the lowers don't need to adjust. The pinion angle can be dialed in with the uppers.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Did not know that. Thanks.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I bought my RE7000 from red rock. Very good source, and you can ask tech questions about the install.

I got the adjustable lowers because it is cheaper to get them when you buy the whole kit. However, after installing, I don't think I needed them. They may help with centering the axle in the wheel wells, but you don't need them for the pinion angle (adjust the uppers for this). One thing I wished I knew before installing the adjustable lowers was how long to make them for my first setup.

Also, get a new rear drive shaft from Tom Woods. They included one essential tool for pinion angles - a credit card sized plastic protractor. You supply the string and a weight (tie a nut to the end of the string) and you are good to go.

I've got a blog of my experience installing the RE7000 here:

Paul Nelson

in article snipped-for-privacy@h40g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, nawt2smart at snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote on 1/1/07 4:06 PM:

Reply to
Paul Nelson

That's what an adjustable track bar does, the adjustable control arms are for pinion angle.

The adjustable lowers are for installations that only replace the lower control arms and retain the stock uppers.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I think he means centering the axle front-to-rear, not side-to-side which you get from the adjustable track bar.

My $.02: I agree with Paul, you only need them if you are very particular in centering the axles in the wheel wells, otherwise, it's one more thing that will wear out...and they will wear out. I believe RE's non adjustables are longer than stock, so that in itself will help with centering. I don't have them and do not need them.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

Gotcha. However as the suspension cycles the arc will change and the wheel will constantly be off-center. Long arm kits have a longer arc and aren't as suseptible, but then you have long arms that get hit with rocks and stuff.

Agreed.

I believe

Correct.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Thank you Gents! As always great information. Just placed my order with Red rock.

Was going to just run 33x12.5. Was looking at wheels now. Seems everynoe has a different answer for backspacing. I was looking at running 4" backspace. Would I be able to squeeze in further with say a

4.5"? I want to get the rubber as far under the fenders as possible but I do not want steering washers or any rubbing. Thanks again!
Reply to
ULB

in article Tjumh.1915$PN2.376@trnddc07, twaldron at snipped-for-privacy@OBVIOUSspam.com wrote on 1/2/07 8:51 AM:

Yes I did. Sorry. Thanks tw

Paul

Reply to
Paul Nelson

I use to have the teraflex lower control arms but they were a disaster. First the bushings will go every couple of years, then you need to unscrew them and clean them and repack the grease. I even broke one of the teraflex arms. Both ends screw into each other and I guess all the winter salt and water leaked in and it rusted. Then the ends seized so they would not rotate. I ended up taking a grinder and cutting the remaining 3 off.

I now have the rubicon express ones (non adjustable) and really like them, you can replace all the parts, as they are sold in kits.

Disclaimer - this happened to me and could have been a result of my driving, offroading and maintance, I am in no way stating any opinion on Teraflex lower control arms only that mine did not last and were a PIA to maintain.

nawt2smart wrote:

Reply to
snowboardripper