Quick emissions question...

Did the 1994 Wrangler YJ 4.0L engine have an EGR system of any kind? I ask because I have one here that just failed its California smog test due to high NOx levels, which as I understand it is most commonly caused by an EGR failure, but I can't seem to find an EGR system anywhere on the engine. In fact I can't seem to find much of anything that can be tuned or repaired to help this situation other than changing out the catalytic converter, which I'm trying to avoid. The timing is supposedly unchangeable (so says the Jeep service manual), and every other part normally touched in an extensive tune up is brand new. New cooling system components, too. If it's true that there is no EGR system that can be checked, then I'm sort of left with the converter but I wanted to ask first to make sure I'm not overlooking something. Thanks!

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
mic canic

A lean mixture aggravates a NOx concern. What Bill says carries some weight, but you are probably looking to fatten it up, not lean it out more. Vacuum leaks, bad O2, look for obvious things that are going to lean it out. A fresh cat will make it pass, but be sure that you aren't just masking the real problem, because it will fail again next year if you don't get to the root of it.

Juice

Reply to
Jerry Newton