radio

i dont know if any of you guys have had problems but i live in florida and i keep getting tickets for my music being to loud with a stock jeep system in my 89. the only reason it is to high is because i have my doors and top off. i can have it at 5 and it gose past the legal limit of 25 feet from you car. i keep geting tickets but all my friends that have 2 15's in their car and make ur insides shake when they pass you never get any tickets which is complete bullshit.

Reply to
Jon

It's not the volume of the music that is attracting the attention of the PoPo it is what you are listening to.....

Reply to
billy ray

If you live near Hollywood, FL play WMXJ (Oldies)on A1A. No one will notice :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Jon did pass the time by typing:

That's something you will have to take to court. At any rate, check to see if the law also stipulated dB (sound pressure) as a measure. If it does then you probably have an out.

Reply to
DougW

Billy Ray is right, its what you play heheheheh. Nothing you can do about it dude, I live in Florida and I gotta watch my music whenever my doors are off and top is down. Just get used to makin it where you can hear it fine according to road noise. If you are traveling over 45mph I believe the dbl allowance goes up, and again at 55. Things may have changed on the books since then though so watch out.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Is that possible to do on a factory jeep radio? That would be cool to have.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

What you are listening to might have something to do with it... If you're listening to rap-crap even at level 0, you should probably get a ticket...

Seriously though, I suspect that you would get a lot better acceptable sound quality by forgetting about the factory unit and just switching to a MP3 player with a headset... By the time you get the volume up high enough to get over the wind noise in a non-headset type of system, you're going to be pretty loud... I've tried the earbug types of headphones on a motorcycle and they are not the best for high wind noise situations... I ended up mounting a set of ear pad type (over the ear) (e.g.

in the ear cup area of the helmet and it works a lot better...Originally, I thought that it might be acceptable to wear the earbud types(e.g.
I wasn't wearing a helmet, but the wind tends to loosen them... Youprobably get a bit less wind inside your Jeep, so maybe they'll work foryou... The inside-the-ear type that are similar to a set of sound protectionear plugs (e.g.
in a high wind environment...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Headphones are illegal in many states.... They make aftermarket seats with speakers in the headrests or you can get add-on sound bars.

In any case there is still the background noise from that '48 Peterbilt in the lane next to you.

pieces in the ear cup area of the helmet and it works a lot better...> Originally, I thought that it might be acceptable to wear the earbud types> (e.g.

when I wasn't wearing a helmet, but the wind tends to loosen them... You> probably get a bit less wind inside your Jeep, so maybe they'll work for> you... The inside-the-ear type that are similar to a set of soundprotection

in a high wind environment...>

Reply to
billy ray

Many states explicitly allow headphone usage with a motorcycle helmet since the speaker is supposedly not against the ear and still allows the rider to hear ambient noises... With a car, the right sort of headphone is fairly inconspicuous... Perhaps earbud type might be better since you can easily yank the cord to remove them from your ear if you are being pulled over (i.e. harassed) by a cop... In my XJ, I often wear 31dB ear plugs to cut down on the noise... I can still hear things on the outside, just not as loud and potentially damaging to my hearing...

Reply to
Grumman-581

I've tried the 'in the ear' type while riding around on the mower, they don't work all that great either. I think a good pair of over the ear would be bes for that but in a vehicle on the street, I am thinking that you are asking for trouble with ear plugs of any kind. You may want to just get used to the fact that you will have to turn it down a little.

Kate

Reply to
Kate