Radio Probs in 95 GC

I have 1995 Grand Cherokee with the premium sound system. I'm having quite a bit of static at times with AM stations. Sometimes the radio is fine and then static starts when I tap the brakes or use a turn signal. Sometimes I can hear the turn signal blinking in the radio static.

I've checked and cleaned the tail light ground, the under-hood ground right next to the battery and the sound system ground under the driver's seat.

Any other ideas? Is the radio shot?

Thanks! Dave

Reply to
Dave Wick

It's probably not your radio, it's more likely your alternator. How does it sound when the engine is not running?

Instead of replacing your motor, get a inline filter for your stereo. See a Radio Shack associate for help.

Reply to
Mark12211

A true PITA to get at, but on the back of the radio there is a ground strap that needs a really really good tight and clean connection. And check the "ears" on the antenna connection there to make sure they are tight. If tight, twist the connector a few degrees and back to clean the connection.

Then check under the antenna itself to make sure that it is well grounded to the body...and clean.

If the antenna isn't well grounded to body and the coax connect doesn't have a great connect to ground thru that strap, the normal radiated noise can be picked up and sent into the radio. AM radio is pretty sensitive since it has no way to filter out this kinda junk.

Fairly difficult to tell if it is radiated noise or the noise is being conducted into the radio [or the amp] on the power leads. They have filters, but you could have a filter that is old and has opened up. Good news is that you can always parallel another cap onto the power line, or get a good inline filter from Crutchfield, etc.

Don't recall if the radio has an AM antenna trimmer you can get at thru the CD slot in the faceplate.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11