rambling on about J.C Whitney catalog writers

I remember when i was a kid, reading the JCW catalog and taking everything they said at face value. I didn't know any better, if they printed it, it MUST be true? Better mileage AND free horsepower? I'll take 2! Still, I got parts at prices I could afford for my first car, a worn-out

1958 Baja Bug. A Ragtop cost me about $50, and that was a lot to me then. At lunch today I'm thumbing thru the latest JCW Jeep catalog and spotting things like a hood scoop ad with a blurb that says "Cool air under the hood of your TJ means more power!". Yeah, that 2.5 L engine must be a real torque monster in Wisconson about this time of year! Think I should put an ice cube tray on the nostalgia F2 car I'm building? Page 3, an ad starts out "Win the off roading "War" with the latest in exterior accessories". The ad is for black "rough, tough", "nearly indestructable thermo plastic" fake diamond plate panels that you cover sections of your Jeep's body with and attach with "3M tape for secure adhesion". This, of course, leads to the obvious question, How does it look covered with aluminum paint? And some others questions, Weren't we making diamond plate panels to cover rust 30 years ago? Now it's "the latest"? Does this stuff blow off on the freeway? Am I missing some off road "war" somewhere?
Reply to
Stupendous Man

LOL! I love reading J.C. Whitney catalogs. The stuff they sell is all truly amazing! If you install Widget A, you'll save 29% on fuel costs! Install Widget B, and you'll get even more power and another 12% fuel savings! Good grief, if I installed all of this stuff on my car, I'd have to stop every 100 miles to let out all of that excess fuel out of my overflowing gas tank!

The technical writers have too much fun over there. Where do they come up with all that nonsense?

I finally stopped buying anything from Kragen after I bought 9 defective starters in a row. On the 9th visit, I watched as the clerk pitched the box back up on the shelf, and grabbed another. They had only 2 boxes on that shelf to begin with. And every time I returned one, I got the other.

This was before I bought the battery from Kragen that had no vent, that exploded 10 mins. down the road, and the reman. distributor, who's shaft was so badly bent that it shattered the cap when I fired it up. Or the junk rebuilt carburetor that leaked so badly that fuel squirted all over the exhaust manifold, burning the entire car to the ground. It's amazing to me how much CRAP is peddled out there, and even more amazing that so many people still buy it.

Reply to
Outatime

I never buy anything from JC Whitney. The only time I parts shop out of a catalog is out of Jegs or Summit, and I don't like either because they charge a 'handling fee' on every order. JC Whitney is up there with the Tornado electric supercharger (which they probably sell) and the magnetic fuel 'atomizers' that 'increse' power and mileage.

I'm sure if they gave auto advice, they'd be like the kid that told my girlfriend's brother he could get better mileage by pulling a few spark plug wires. Freaking morons..

Carl

Reply to
Carl

You can get good stuff, if you watch out. Hella brand H-4 headlamps? great stuff, but the other brands they sell are a bit off. I got a drop pitman arm, a Heckthorne/Rough Country for $30 less than anyone else.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I always wonder about anyone who feels it necessary to refer to hisself as 'honest'.

It just doesn't seem to be something a 'honest' person would do.....

But what do I know?

Reply to
billy ray

By the claims alone, if you install a half a dozen of these products together, your vehicle will actually MAKE gasoline.

tw

Reply to
Thomas Waldron

Somewhere I remember seeing the 1000hp 4cyl honda. It had a ten foot stack of air swirlies under the throttle body.

Reply to
DougW

Stupendous Man proclaimed:

They carry a goodly number of schlock brands and items, also a goodly number of name brand parts. Sometimes cheaper than local parts houses, sometimes not. Do carry some items that tend to be hard to find locally unless you are in a major metropolitan area. Problem is that for many of the items they don't disclose the original brand name where for others they do.

Reply to
Lon