ratio

I was talking to a friend the other day about ratio from front axles to back . If i have 4.11 in back and 3.73 in front ,that that would not change my wheel speed ,but if i went from 28 tooth to 32 tooth it would have to done to front and rear , not just one axle . so in importence witch is the deciding facture. I read up on things but this subject i have not.

Reply to
Al King

Say what?

You 'have' to have the same front to rear ratio or you cannot use 4x4.

The only exception I know to that is on some fronts they only make a

4.10 to match the rear 4.11 and that is close enough not to blow up anything or burn the tires off too fast.

Mike

Al K>

Reply to
Mike Romain

You lost me.

You need the same ratio front and rear or you will eventually do serious damage to the tcase.

You need the same spline count left and right or the axles will be different strengths and you will have issues relative to the diameter of things like spider gears. Axle shafts are always sold in sets of two, one for each side, so having a mixed set is seldom going to happen. I suppose you could replace a set of axle shafts, then break one of the new ones and attempt to install one of the old ones that was stashed in the corner of your garage.

If you are talking about the tooth count of the speedo gear, it will be governed by the ratio of the rear axle.

Reply to
CRWLR

I saw a guy that just bought a YJ with that kind of difference (un-known to him) and he took off down the road in 4X4 and you could see the frame bow in the middle and then the chain in the T-case let go. It wasn't pretty!

Reply to
JimG