Re: '99 TJ redline after header install (update)

For those who haven't followed the thread, a brief history: Installed a new header on my '99 TJ 4.0L 5sp this weekend. Screwed up the first attempt by misaligning the intake manifold, and it wasn't seating properly on the cylinder head dowels, creating a massive vacuum leak. The engine would attempt to rev to redline when started. Second attempt resulted in what appeared to be a good seal with no vacuum leak, but RPM's slightly high at 1000-1200.

Now the update: Drove it around town a bit more yesterday, and took it on my commute to work today. Idle is now sitting at 800... think the computer needed to adjust for the new exhaust flow or something? Heck I dunno, but I am one happy camper. Sure is nice having the power that the old cracked exhaust manifold was sucking away! Since the crack(s) started small and only gradually got larger over time, I never really noticed how bad things had become (other than a lotta noise hehehe). Anyway, I'm going to try to get some pics posted of the old manifold... the cracks are outrageous!

Thanks again for everyone's help.... very much appreciated!

Dave

David C. Moller

Give it a week or so then re-torque those bolts after everything settles in. It's also a good idea to check them every so often for a while - saves having to find the leak again.

Reply to
Will Honea

Thanks, Will. I plan to.... the installation sheet mentions exactly that. Something along the lines of re-torque after one week, then again after one month. I'll make sure I keep on it. :-)

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller