Re: Expert Opinion Sought - NO REPLIES????

Hi Guys,

I am not sure whether it had made it the first time, as I have had no replies at all.

Thanks

Hi All, > > Late last year I had done the tyres, quick disconnects, Old Man Emu lift > (shocks and springs), 1" motor mount lift and 1" body lift in two phases. > Time has come to do the next set of modifications. > > I have a list of items that I want to do. After the lift I don't have any > major vibrations, but SYE would probably be my priority as I don't want to > destroy any u-joints. Can I ask you guys to prioritise (first - do now / > last - don't need it) from the following list. I will be doing this in > phases (probably three due to budgetary constraints). > > Adjustable UCA (Rear) > Slip Yoke Eliminator > Double Cardan Driveshaft (Rear) > Bumper (Rear) > Spare Tyre Carrier > BellyUp Skidplate > Rocker Rails > High Capacity Transmission Oil Pan > Adjustable Trackbar (Front) > Adjustable Trackbar (Rear) > Adjustable UCA (Front) > Adjustable LCA (Rear) > Adjustable LCA (Rear) > > I have organised them in a kind of a priority that I think they should be > done, but I am open for suggestions. Can I get away with the degree cam > bolts instead of the new upper control arms? Can I use the same cam bolts > that TJs come with in the front? I can probably source them from the > dealer. > > Can you also suggest which manufacturer should I stick with (personal > experiences). I have limited choice in terms of a supplier as not > everybody ships overseas. > > Thanks in advance for all your comments/suggestions/recommendations. > > TW > --------- > '01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/D44 > 265/75R16 BFG Muds, JKS Quick Discos, OME Lift, 1" MML, 1" BL >
Reply to
TW

I'm not an expert so don't usually reply, but if the experts read it like I do you have a 1" body lift and a 1" spring lift, as body lift doesn't affect your drive shaft/slip yoke, so then I would move on to # 4 on your list.

Reply to
Greg

As a fellow non-expert I will add that I think that I would start with the skid plates then I would do the rocker rails.

While I was underneath there the first time I would consider doing a "homemade" sway bar disconnect similar to the link below but I see you have already installed quick disconnects

My rationale being.... if you tear out anything that would be protected by the skid plates then the rest doesn't really matter because you will be spending all your available money on repairing the damage. You will probably have to remove these skid plates to do some of your other modifications then re-install them

I understand that MOPAR OEM skid plate kits are available at an extremely reasonable price if purchased direct.

Sorry, my links are for Grand Cherokees because that is what I have but I assume (with the inherent dangers noted) that similar modifications are available for TJ models.

How handy (mechanically inclined) are you? Things like front and rear bumpers, spare tire carriers, hitches, tow hooks, brush bars, etc. can be fabricated at home. You can attend a local adult education class on welding or mechanics if needed. The monies you save by doing your own improvements would pay for the needed additions to your tool collection or specialty tools can be rented or borrowed. You might be surprised at what can be done on a Saturday afternoon at a fellow Jeeper's place for a pizza and a case of beer.

Editorial Note: Always offer to pay... it will usually be refused. Your friends wife, however, won't refuse a gift certificate to a local restaurant and once you get in good with the wife she won't protest hubby working on your Jeep. While you are there you should help as much as you are able, watch everything closely, and ask LOTS of questions. What you might consider a silly or stupid question was the same thought WE all had before WE asked that question the first time. People are usually pleased to pass on knowledge and you should never pass up the opportunity to learn something. No one here was born an "expert", someone taught them....

Reply to
BillyRay

Thanks. The spring lift is about 2.5 inch, still not enough to change things that much. Its very difficult to find parts here in New Zealand. I just got an email back from local parts guy saying that I would be better off ($$) if I import them myself rather than buy from him as he would be importing too..

TW

Reply to
TW

I have the factory transfer case and fuel tank skidplates. Thats why I was thinking about the rockers.

Buying parts from US is probably the only option for me, but unfortunately not all vendors ship overseas. I have found about three big name vendors that do export, so my choices are limited.

I am reasonably okay. I have done all the labour on modifications so far myself (other than mounting the tyres). I do all the maintenance myself as well. A couple of members from the local 4WD club also are very helpful.

Well, one of the guys that has helped me in the past with spare time and space is a single parent... Toys for the kids were in order then.

Thanks for your replies. TW

Reply to
TW

I went for Skid Row stuff and it paid for itself in the first outing. They ship Bax Global - I got the fuel tank, engine, steering box and control arm plates weighing about 130lb shipped for ~110 USD IIRC.

Dave Milne

Thanks for that. Do you know of a good place for rear bumper and tyre carrier? I like the price and look on

but somehow my emails have been bouncing back. I am not sure whether the guy ships overseas or not. I did have a look at Skid Row and they do RHD stuff, which is perfect for me, but they don't have a rear bumper for a TJ.

Cheers Tariq

Reply to
TW

I haven't got the rear bumper yet, so can't advise. However, I should add that the control arm skid plates did require a bit of grinding to a bracket on the axle to allow the U bolt to fit. Not difficult though.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

My wife's newly acquired '04 TJL has a Warn bumper/tire carrier on it. It seems to be a pretty solid design, and a lot easier to use than the Wilderness carrier on my TJ.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I need to have a third brake light (NZ law) and rear registration plate somewhere on the bumper. In New Zealand, rear registration plate is on the rear bumper below the spare tyre and not under the left brake light. I know its weird, but thats how it came. Do you have a picture of that Warn bumper somewhere handy?

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.