Re: Overheating

Do you have a fan clutch? If so, replace it. Mileage is about right for one of these to fail.

How is your electric fan controlled? Is it switching on when it is supposed to? I have an electric fan in my 2.5 liter Wrangler which I have set to come on at 215º F, but I use it for mostly highway use and no AC.

Earle

Hi, > > What do I check for overheating 2.5L, 86 Comanche with AC, powersteering? > I've changed fluids, thermostat, added electric fan, new radiator cap, and > water pump? > > Water boils into my overflow bottle and red idiot light comes on. Engine > trys to die when I push in the clutch. Engine starts fine and seems to have > normal power for a 2.5. But I can't run for more than 30 minutes or so with > AC on before it overheats. > > Truck has 129k miles and is in great condition otherwise. > > Thanks, > > Craig W. > 86 Comanche > 02 Wrangler Sport > >
Reply to
Earle Horton

I know on the 6, there are two water pumps, I think the 4 could be the same.

One is a normal pump for a V belt, the other is a reverse rotation one for a serpentine belt.

The pump impellers also can break off.

A blown head gasket can cause that. To test heat it up with the rad cap off and watch for smoke. Then when the t-stat opens watch for an explosion of pressure, once it settles down, you can put your hand over the opening and feel for puffs in time with that slight miss you hear...

Mega bubbles is bad news. When my head gasket blew and I had an overheating problem, it looked like I had dish soap in my rad. Tiny bubbles.....

Then a scaled up rad also can be a problem, that happens after a good off road trip on a vehicle that wasn't used to vibration lots. All the scale knocks loose and drops to the bottom of the vanes plugging them up at the ends.

Mike

Craig wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

His mechanical fan is probably in the landfill, next to mine. I did wait two years first, and vowed that I would never put air conditioning in the vehicle or drive it to Phoenix, before I discarded the old parts. I think that I may want to go to graduate school in Albuquerque though. Is it hot in Albuquerque?

Craig, if you decide to put the mechanical fan back, you must restore the fan shroud too. A mechanical fan with no shroud is worse than the electric fan you have now. Bill is probably right, but make sure that your thermo switch for the fan is set right before jumping to any conclusions.

Earle

powersteering?

Reply to
Earle Horton