Re: overheating 258 HELP! Part II

Here is where I stand:

checked the coolant during warm up and after a 20 min drive - no bubbles in the filler neck of the radiator. I have V-Belts and am going to check the water pump for a 3rd time to make sure right pump. I am on my 2nd thermostat. I am also going to check actual coolant temp with a thermometer tomorrow. I'll let everyone know what I find. I am leaning toward a blocked passage in the head. The pervious owner never complained of overheating but the first day I owned the jeep, I found a 1/8" hole in the coolant reservoir and patched that day. Have had cooling problems since day one.

anyway, let you know what I find.

Brad.

Reply to
brad smith

I didn't see in the other posts(maybe I missed it, I'm kinda old and forgetful at times)where you had had the radiator checked to see if it was clogged. I'd do that before I pulled the head.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

You can just eyeball the flow direction in the rad to see if it is the right pump.

The coolant comes into the rad via the top hose.

As someone else mentioned how is the coolant/water mix ratio?

Mike

brad smith wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

It looks like the flow is correct (left to right looking at the front of the radiator / away from the top hose)

I'll have to get a tester to check the mix.

Brad.

is the

no

and

check

passage

overheating

the

Reply to
brad smith

If the mix is too thick, it will cause overheating.

Mike

brad smith wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

well, it looks like it was a combo of the new temp gauge (off by a lot) and a faulty radiator cap. Checked with a thermostat at the filler neck on the radiator showed 150 with a 160 thermostat in. looks like I need to check the ohm reading on the gauge and splice in the appropriate resistor. (already bought a new radiator cap and had it pressure tested at the store)

So glad that is over!

Brad.

the

if it

ratio?

'00

drive -

V-Belts

sure

let

in

Reply to
brad smith

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I have had both pumps side by side Bill and you can tell by the spiral shape as well.

The spiral goes to the side of the pulley the push is coming from.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain