Re: Quadra-Trac Versus Quadra-Drive

In the 70's Jeep had Quadra-Trac transfer case, which was chain drive, full-time 4WD, with a high and low range planetart reduction unit, and a "emergency" drive capability (which locked the limited slip differential in the transfer case)

Later on came the Selec-Trac system which is a full-time/part-time transfer case with shift on the fly. (The was also a Command-Trac part time transfer case)

This was optional on XJ Cherokees

Then came Quadratrac II on the Grand Cherokee, which is the same operation as Selec-Trac, but a few different transfer case models were used over the years.

Quadra Drive is the latest system which uses the same transfer case as QuadraTrac II and adds limited slip/locking gerorotor differentials front and rear, and is quite a capable system.

-Andy W

My mother just traded her 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo for a 2003 (4?)Grand > Cherokee Freedom. The center console has a plate under the transfer case lever > that says "Quadra-Trac II". I thought that Quadra-Drive replaced Quadra-Trac. > > I visited the Jeep web site and did a search on Quadra-Trac and

Quadra-Drive.

The search returned information on Quadra-Trac but nothing on

Quadra-Drive.

When I clicked on 4WD systems, the site provided information on

Quadra-Drive

but nothing on Quadra-Trac. > > Can someone help me to understand this? > > > > > > Kurt Todoroff > snipped-for-privacy@aol.com > > Markets, not mandates or mob rule. > Consent, not compulsion. > > Remove "DELETEME" from my address to reply
Reply to
Andy W

L.W.(ßill)

We were talking about a woman who traded in a 1999 GC for a 2003 or 2004. My guess is that the new car will be traded in long before these types of problems show up. ...Unless of course the Quadra-Trac II is a new development for this model year, in which case all bets are off.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Most of the computers I work with have had a long life. I have a radio shack model 100 laptop and an okidata printer that are of 1983-4 vintage. Both still working fine. Maybe the difference is the extreme conditions the auto components are subjected to.

Either way, you are right about the cost of replacement parts. And for whatever reason, electronic parts for autos seem to be priced far beyond what it must cost to produce them in the first place.

I am hoping that the 7 yr, 100,000 mile extended warranty I purchased will afford some protection at least up to 100,000 miles.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Greenwood

The link is to a description of Quadra Drive, and according to the original post in this thread, the new GCs use something called "Quadra Trac II."

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

In Andy's first reply to the original post, and at the later posted link it was explained that

"Quadra Drive is the latest system which uses the same transfer case as QuadraTrac II and adds limited slip/locking gerorotor differentials front and rear, and is quite a capable system."

Reply to
MK Randall

I was not under the impression that either transfer case had a gerotor, like the link in Bill's post said. I was assuming that the Cherokee Full-time system, the Grand Cherokee Quadratrac II, and Quadra-Drive were all using the NVG242 transfer case.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

-Andy W

message

Reply to
Andy W

I don't think so either. Once you are locked up, the "gerotor" (not a real word) will sense no speed difference and unlock. On the other hand, most of the GC's target customers don't need a full locker effect. "Rubicon Grand Cherokee," no it just doesn't fit....

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I did a web search for gerotor and came up with:

Looks like the innards of an oil pump to me. I don't quite understand how this type of device is helpful in a traction control application. Doesn't it basically function as a gear reduction?

message

Reply to
Clem