Re: radiator problem

On my 85 CJ-7 I had to replace the pressure and return hoses on the power

> steering. To do this I had to remove the radiator and found that the fan > had hit the raditor. The good news what that it is not leaking, yet. My > problem is that I don't know if the fan that I have is the right fan. I > just purchased the jeep about 6 months ago. Can someone tell me what amount > of clearance there should be between the fan and the radiator?

I have a 85 CJ7 also - I have a little less than 2 inches of clearance between the fan & radiator. You fan should be tucked into the fan shroud (assuming you have one). You may want to check the motor mounts - just to make sure one of them is not busted allowing the fan to 'move' into the radiator when the engine is under load (ie wheelin').

Would it be

better if I replaced the fan with an electric one?

It depends - there are trade offs. If you have an electrical prob - you lose your cooling as well. Does your Jeep run hot ? If not - don't worry about it. Probably the best is to have both. use the normal fan and then put a pusher fan on the front side of the radiator. You could hook it up to a toggle switch and turn it on only as needed.

When I replace the

radiator, should I have the cooling system flushed? Any other suggestion > while have the radiator off? What radiator would you recommed? > > Kelly Roestel > >

Could not hurt the system to get flushed. If the coolant that was in there was in good shape (clear green and NO rust) I would not worry too much about it. If there is any discoloration - flush it. Depending on the climate you are in - you may want to consider making the radiator a 3 core. The typical stock radiator is a 2 core.

Reply to
John B. Parisi

Thanks for the info. I have looked at my motor mounts and they seem to be fine. I have found that one of the radiator mounts has broken its weld. Again thanks for the info, and I will let you know how it turns out.

Kelly

Reply to
kelly