Rear Brakes lock up...

When I first start out, my rear brakes will lock up the first couple of times I apply the brakes. They are even more 'sensitive' when it's damp outside. Anyone know the cause? Do they need some type of adjustment?

tia,

Reply to
Mel P.

FrankW

That sounds like pad failure. Once the pads lining the shoes have been contaminated with water they swell up. This only has to happen once to kill them because the structure flakes apart so any condensation or humidity will swell them up again. The heat of use dries them.

I have had this happen a 'lot' in the last 8 or so years of owning Jeeps, both on the front and rear linings. I have had to change brakes more often from this than from wear.

Mike

"Mel P." wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
RoyJ

Brakes will stick, if there is oil or grease on them. They can grab and let go, and make a frightful noise. When you replace the rear shoes, or have them replaced, pay attention to the axle seals. It won't take much leakage, to cause the behavior you describe. Might as well check the bearing clearance too.

As other posters have pointed out, water is also a possible culprit. In that case, move to Nevada?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It's moisture as others have stated. I'm not sure if it's a light coat of rust on the drums, swollen shoes or a combination of both. If they tend to grab frequently, look for a leaking wheel cylinder. The shoes won't dry out when they are contaminated by brake fluid.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Yep. Just drag the brakes a few feet to warm them up. Happens all the time on my ZJ when it's rainy or heavy dew.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
RoyJ

Sounds like you need to buy a set of premium quality pads/shoes and trash the low bid oem type.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Could be as si,ple or complicated as described above. Six months ago I had the exact problem. When getting new tires I asked to have my brakes checked. I was told nothing was wrong with my brakks and I never had the problem again. I think they were simply cleaned off - problem solved. Steve

Reply to
popeyeball