Rear Bumpstops - XJ - Weld On?

Hey gang, While removing the old bumpstops on the rear of the XJ, 3 of 4 bolts broke - no surprise. Given the location, they're difficult to drill out, has anybody tried welding new bumpstops on in the stock location? The new ones have 3/16" thick steel brackets.

Lift update: Can not budge front eye bolts or shackle bolts. Got the u-bolts free. Lower shock mount free, haven't tried the uppers yet. Rear sway bar is out, frame mounts came off easy but end links had to be cut off. I will be giving the rear another shot... another day of PB and I'm moving to the front end today. I might end up taking it into the shop for the leaf packs.. I'd rather pay a few bucks than be stranded in the driveway with no torches and no assistance!

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Hi Brian,

There's a good chance you won't need rear bump stops after the lift. I had a broken stop on mine and I thought about replacing it when I lifted from stock. After installing the new leafs and shackles (+4.75") I found there was plenty of rear clearance even when loaded up and cross-flexed to the max. I've since been pounding around on some fairly serious 'bumps' and see no sign of ever having touched.

Steve

Cherokee-LTD wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bill:

Just googled around to confirm and you are indeed right - longer bump stops over taller leafs are a must. A pox on Rubicon Express for not including them in their kit. Hope I haven't damaged anything. I'll be putting some on soon. Thanks.

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Bump stops and limiting straps will extend your shock life if you're into heavy flexing. I'm not in a huge rush to get them on but I won't go off-road without at least the bump stops.

-Brian

: > Lift update: : > Can not budge front eye bolts or shackle bolts. Got the u-bolts free. Lower : > shock mount free, haven't tried the uppers yet. Rear sway bar is out, frame : > mounts came off easy but end links had to be cut off. I will be giving the : > rear another shot... another day of PB and I'm moving to the front end : > today. : > I might end up taking it into the shop for the leaf packs.. I'd rather pay a : > few bucks than be stranded in the driveway with no torches and no : > assistance! : >

: > -Brian : >

: >

: >

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Any opinion with regard to welding to the sub-frame? I'm thinking four 1/2" welds each.

-Brian

: > Hi Brian, : >

: > There's a good chance you won't need rear bump stops after the lift. I : > had a broken stop on mine and I thought about replacing it when I lifted : > from stock. After installing the new leafs and shackles (+4.75") I found : > there was plenty of rear clearance even when loaded up and cross-flexed : > to the max. I've since been pounding around on some fairly serious : > 'bumps' and see no sign of ever having touched. : >

: > Steve : >

: > Cherokee-LTD wrote: : > > Hey gang, : > > While removing the old bumpstops on the rear of the XJ, 3 of 4 bolts broke - : > > no surprise. Given the location, they're difficult to drill out, has anybody : > > tried welding new bumpstops on in the stock location? : > > The new ones have 3/16" thick steel brackets. : > >

: > > Lift update: : > > Can not budge front eye bolts or shackle bolts. Got the u-bolts free. Lower : > > shock mount free, haven't tried the uppers yet. Rear sway bar is out, frame : > > mounts came off easy but end links had to be cut off. I will be giving the : > > rear another shot... another day of PB and I'm moving to the front end : > > today. : > > I might end up taking it into the shop for the leaf packs.. I'd rather pay a : > > few bucks than be stranded in the driveway with no torches and no : > > assistance! : > >

: > > -Brian : > >

: > >

: > >

Reply to