rear diff 94 GC

Hi all. There is a lot of noise coming from the rear end of my jeep. When I had it in the shop recently, the mechanic said it sounds like the differential bearing is going. He also indicated that this is a pretty big job, and most shops don't do this sort of work.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing the bearings? Specifically, is it better to replace the bearings, or do the whole diff? It sounds like it's going to be expensive either way.

Thanks in advance.

Will

Reply to
William Pughe

Just about any 4x4 shop that installs ring & pinion gears can easily replace those bearings, and for a lot less than any dealer would charge. That's where I would be heading if I had that problem.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

They still are refusing a recall on them eh?

Man enough of those are failing, if I owned one I would be screaming blue murder.

Mike

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:

They die because people jack the rear end from under the pumpkin and that axle just won't take the stress. It bends and eventually the bearings die.

Reply to
DougW

Unfortunately the sound started right around the last time I had new tires put on.

Thanks for the info.

Will

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III writes:

Reply to