Rear Diff. Temp.

I rotated the rear diff on my 01 tj w/4inch lift to get the angles right, took it for a test drive and noticed afterwards that the rear pumpkin was pretty hot to touch. I just can't remember if that's normal, I'm praying it's not overheating cuz the pinion gear may not be getting enough splash from the angle I rotated it? Or is it safe to get hot to the touch? Its not unbearablely hot, but pretty darn warm.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Define hot? They do get warm.

Reply to
Coasty

I like the spit test. If it doesn't sizzle, it is not too hot. If you want to add something to your instrument panel that is real boring, you can try front and rear differential temperature gauges.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

When I lived in the commune, we put them in a tour bus, that we hired out to rock and roll bands. If they move more than a smidgeon, it means that you are looking for a differential and axle shop. It is interesting what you can find, when you thought you were in the middle of nowhere.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton