rear disk brakes

I like to convert my 2000 Cherokee to disk brakes in the rear. Anyone have any experience with any of the bolt on kits made for this?

Reply to
Ron K

Tera's rear disk brake conversion kit worked well for my TJ. It's made from a Ford Explorer disk brake system so parts are easily found for it. It's also more reasonably priced than other conversion kits I looked at. Finally, make sure your Cherokee's rear axle is a Dana 35c so it will work. Some Cherokees came with a Chrysler rear axle.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Jerry - is that an easy mod on the D44??

Reply to
jbjeep

That's what I installed mine on, a Dana 44. You do need a Rubicon rear disk brake combination spacer-retainer ring (I paid $4 for the pair) to make the installation easier. Tera's kit includes a spacer ring that is a PITA to position properly while bolting down the OE retainer ring.

To do it right, remove the old bearings on the axle shafts and install the Rubicon spacer-retainer ring, then have new bearings and seals pressed onto the axleshafts. I paid $20 to have that done since I don't have a press and I didn't want to mess the new Timken bearings up. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Its a mod I am considering, when I can afford do work on the rig again - and after my two big trips this summer. =)

Reply to
jbjeep

ditto on keeping your current setup. the aftermarket kits can be a real bear to proportion properly!

Reply to
KJ

I have never had a vehicle with drums that would brake well. Drums are cheaper, that's all.

Dave Milne, Scotland '91 Grand Wag> > Hi Ron,

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

No I wasn't. However, with drums, they hotter they get, the bigger they get and the more travel they require; with disks the hotter they get, the closer they get. As for 18 wheeler trucks; they are tiny compared to trains, which use discs.

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Exactly - and heat comes from higher braking forces. Discs are a lot cheaper though, which is why I think they are so popular.

Incidentally, how do truckers avoid heat build up on descents ? I assume they use engine braking as much as possible and short sharper braking as (for discs anyway) prolonged mild braking warps them (which might be in itself why truckers like drums - I don't know ?)

Dave Milne

Don't forget drums on 18 wheelers work in reverse. I mean instead of pushing the brake pedal to produce hydraulic pressure to make the shoes brake, you push the pedal to release the air that hold the brakes from braking. IOW, the air released that normally keeps the drums from braking on an 18 wheeler is easier to brake with than hydraulic pressured brake system. If you loose air in the brake lines of an 18 wheeler you lock up the brakes and that is not good.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

thanks for that - seems a cunning idea .

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Actually, although modern passenger trains tend to use disc brakes in addition, most railroad equipment I've ever encountered uses neither a disc or drum. They use a "tread brake", that is a cast iron or composite brake shoe that is applied to the outside of the wheel, on the running surface. Iron on steel. Smokes sometimes, doesn't catch on fire!

Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW

so what makes all the sparks that sets off the fires out here? we get fires all the time in the summer months right along the railroad tracks. had a big one last summer in portland - nearly lost some houses because of it.

Reply to
jbjeep

jbjeep did pass the time by typing:

Train operators tossing butts from the window?

Sparking skunks?

Lowriders dragging across train crossings?

Reply to
DougW

no seriously, they are caused by the trains. Not always, but a lot of the time. lots of small fires along a long area...like set off from something sparking as it goes by.

Reply to
jbjeep