Rear Door Handles - '94 XJ

I am having trouble with the rear, outside door release on my Cherokee, parkicularly the driver's side. Is there something standard to be done about this? Can't figure how to remove them and spritzing them with WD doesn't seem to help much. They open fine with the inside handle, but when pushing the button outside it pushes hard and you have to push it _all_ the way in. thanks

Matt

Reply to
M Warren

L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

The linkage and mechanisim is all crudded up. They get that way in the cold. Your going to have to take the door panel off to get at the lock, and likely take the lock mechanisim out. Spray/soak it with a good degreaser, manually move it a few times, then relube only with silicone spray lube or graphite. WD leaves stuff behind that tends to accumulate dirt. The reason I say to degrease it out of the door is that some degreasers are bad on paint.

Important! The rods are held in by plastic clips. Don't try to remove these when they are cold. Heat them a bit with a hair dryer on low to prevent them from splitting.

Reply to
DougW

I had the same problem with my 1995 Wrangler. The door latch mechanism uses heavy iron bars that rub against each other and they are covered with a thick grease that congeals in the cold. The lock cylinder itself was not a problem. It wouldn't hurt to hit it with some silicone spray though. My favorite locksmith recommends against graphite, says it can clog lock cylinders. She works with locks all day long; I don't.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton