Rear door hinges on 1998 Wrangler

Hi all,

I've just bought a 1998 Wrangler - what a great car! Love driving it.

The rear door (tailgate) hinges are extremely stiff, and make a loud creaking noise. I've soaked them in penetrating oil, but that has made no difference.

Before I take them off and investigate further, I thought I'd ask in case this is a common problem - any thoughts?

TIA

Reply to
Grunff

The owner's manual says to lubricate them from time to time with a drop of engine oil or something similar. I guess the previous owner forgot. Give the penetrating oil some time to work.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

If the penetrating oil works at all, take a couple drops of it and a drop of STP oil treatment and lube them. Works better than motor oil in my experience. Hopefully you are using a penetrating oil rather than WD-40.

Earle Horton proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Hi TIA,

About 5 years ago, my 1997 Wrangler rear hinges really got stiff, almost to the point of not wanting to move at all. It took a serious effort to shut the gate, After years of trying all sorts of oils, solvents, additives, etc., someone on this board suggested PB Blaster.

The key to PB Blaster is that you have to apply it several days in a row and then again once or twice the next week. It sounds like a lot of work, but its only a spray on each hinge for 3 or 4 days then work the door back and forth for a minute or two. Then it may try to stiffen back up the following week and you hit it again.

My rear door now swings like it's brand nes and that was a year and a half ago that I sprayed it and haven't since.

Oh, truth in recommendation - PB Blaster does have a very strong petroleum smell so you'll have to use it outside or with the garage door open. The smell goes away fast, but I just wanted to mention it so you weren't surprised like I was.

Good luck TIA

Reply to
Wildfire

Thank you - yes, I am using penetrating oil (PlusGas), not WD.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks, I do have an old can of PB, but I also have some PlusGas, which I generally favour as a penetrating oil. It's a similar oil to PB, but seems to be even more penetrating!

I will persevere with the penetrating oil for a few days and see how we go. Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Grunff