Rear driveshaft

I posted last week about my "88 Grand Wagoneer and how the rear driveshaft broke at the transfer case. Yesterday, I bought a replacement rear driveshaft at the junkyard for $75. Not too bad I thought to get my Jeep up and running again. The problem is now that the yoke that attaches to the transfer case is not included. The guys at the junkyard said that the yoke is always sold as part of the transfer case, and he didn't have any. But if he did, the transfer case would sell for $350. So I would end up paying $350 for the yoke, even if I find one. Anyone have a possible solution?

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

RoyJ

Wow, that's great. At least I know they still make these. I'll call these people and see about getting on shipped.

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

If you live in any sort of major city there should be a transmission shop that stocks these. Another source is the local 4x4 shop. Does that tell you how often they break? :)

They are also a standard dealer item, just more money.

There are slight variations in the yokes by year and model. Your Wagoneer will have less selection of parts locally. I *THINK** you have either a 208 or 229 transfer case, they both show the same yoke part number. 8350 3578

Call your local dealer and give them that part number at the parts counter.

Mark Corbelli wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

The guys who sold me the driveshaft gave me a printout of the models that have my same transfer case. The printout says it's a "229" and a "selectrac".

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

If you local parts supplier (NAPA, Autozone, Schucks, etc.) is on the ball he can order this part for you too. If you have Selectrac and you put the TC in full time four wheel drive that could explain your drifting in park. Full time mode expects both axles to be working.

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to