Rear end rubbed by gas tank

How much clearance should there be between the gas tank and the rear diff? Mine were rubbing due to sagging rear springs and I've fixed that with new springs. I expect under load, that the springs will allow the gas tank to come down and rub again. Just sitting with the hard top on, my fingrs fit (pretty snugly) between the gas tank and the reard diff. Should there be more room?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris Roat

what kind of jeep do u have? year? size of tank?

Reply to
serg

Oops. 85 'cj7, stock tank.

*** Today, serg allegedly wrote ***

Reply to
Chris Roat

I've got an 85 CJ7 with a stock tank & it rubs on the diff - usually on pretty rugged terrain though - not on every day stuff.

Mine actually rubs on the skid plate that covers the tank. I've hit the skid plate with a hammer to give me a little more room.

Let me know if you find anything out....

Reply to
John B. Parisi