rear seal leak

would a leaking rear seal cause low oil pressure at idle when warm? Jeep in question has 60 psi cold - then drops to 5-10 at idle after it warms up. new mechanical autometer guage too.

Reply to
HomeBrewer

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Nope.

The crank seals don't really relate to oil pressure, just the bearing clearances.

How many miles on the engine?

The book calls for 10 psi per 1000 rpm, so your hot idle isn't too far out. If it was too low, the valve train would start to get noisy after idling for a while.

Mike

HomeBrewer wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

????

What are you talking about? I didn't see any reference to 240 degrees.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I bought it used, they put idiots lights in for somebody else.

The OP made no suggestion of overheating. He made no mention of heating at all other than to say that the oil pressure dropped after the motor reached normal operating tempurature, which is common.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Ouch, I hope you are mistaken about that rebuild Bill....

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Man I'm bummed that the news.individual.net started charging for the service. It's back the the isp service for me.

Nope, it runs right at 195 and has no unusual noise. The oil pump has new parts and has not been smacked.

Reply to
HomeBrewer

500 now

It has no unusual noice at all, and plenty of power. It idles at ~7-800 and psi is above 10 at hot idle. I posted 5-10 psi, but after rechecking the gauge it's above 10 psi at it's lowest.

Reply to
HomeBrewer

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

My 'new' engine is a bone stock 1978 with low miles one someone sold me. It still has double your oil pressure at idle....

Just keep a close ear out for the knock. When it starts you 'might' be able to open up the bottom pan and just slip some bearings in to jury rig it to run a little while longer if you catch it quick.

Mike

HomeBrewer wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

It has new main bearings from this kit:

don't know if the crank was turned or not, but there is a $330 machine shop receipt that is somwhat unreadable, but does say crankshaft something....

Reply to
HomeBrewer

I found the problem. I removed the pan to replace the rear seal and found the oil pickup screen clogged with excess rtv that came from the oil pan or somewhere. There was also tons of rtv behind the original rear main seal whic deformed the seal and caused the leak. After cleaning the pickup screen, replacing the main bearings and rear main I now have 50-55 psi cold and 30 psi hot idle.

Reply to
HomeBrewer

Thanks for the follow up, it's nice to see cheap fixes....

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III