Rear wiper motor 93ZJ

That was fun.

Yea.. usually I take pictures but this was messy and I was lazy. :P

This is what it looks like.

$359 Holy shit! Well, it is built well and lasted

20 years with only one problem so far. Can't bitch. ..yes I can.. :) Why replace something when you can fix it for far less $$$

The ZJ's rear wiper was sticking in the up position so I figured it was the contacts inside that detect when the wiper reaches the end. 99% of the time this is the case.

Once you get the unit out you have to separate the top case (simple plastic tabs)

Then the circuit board has to come out. The only way to do that is to unsolder the motor. Fairly big tabs but a little heat and lifting will separate the wires.

There is a little catch right in the center of the circuit board. Don't pry the board from the edges, pinch the catch and lift the board or you can crack it.

Turning the board over you see two relays some diodes, and the contact block.

The contacts on the board were encased in a black crispy goo that used to be the dielectric grease. Time and heat dried it into a crispy mass that was wedging under the contacts. Solvent, brush, easy enough. A bit of new dielectric grease and we're done.

Now to get to the main gear.

Four bolts later the inner plastic case was off and that exposed the gear with it's copper traces. Just like the shifter position sensor, the traces were a bit corroded and covered with more black crud.

Wire brush, bit of air, and a new layer of dielectric grease.

Reassemble the unit, solder the motor back on and button it all up.

YAY! it works!

Spent more time trying to find a thinwall socket. That inner plastic is held on by bolts and there just isn't any space to get a regular socket on one of them.

Reply to
DougW