Rebuild Progress

For those of you that like to look at rebuild pics.... I finally got around to posting a basic page with some pics.

Kevin_S

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Looks like it is coming along well. I've often thought of doing this myself, I get tired of fixing one thing after another.

So how many hours do you have invested so far?

Reply to
83 CJ

I'm not really tracking my time spent, but I think I spend more time staring at it then working on it ;-) I started the teardown thanksgiving weekend of 03. Once I got the body off I didn't really do any work for a few months as I was trying to make decisions and plans for what had to be done. Plus it was summer.

I did the frame repairs last november, and since then have tried to make steady progress. Hopefully it will be on the road this summer. Probably the biggest reason I have taken my sweet time, is that I've been saving for and planning a wedding the entire time. Saving $$ for the wedding kind of takes priority over the Jeep. Once the wedding is out of the way in May I should be ready (and have the $$) to do a new custom roll cage, new exhaust, new shocks, and a few other big ticket items.

All I know is I have a pile or receipts, and a little bigger beer gut..... It takes a pretty big commitment as far as time, which has been hard for me as I play hockey & volleyball tournaments and leauges (out of town) year round, and I like to go camping, hiking, hunting etc.... It was hard for me to find weekends to JUST work on the jeep. A lot of my work gets done in the evenings. I finally gave up my gym membership last year as I never went anymore. I'd get home and want to work on the jeep instead.

I'm glad I'm doing the rebuild though. It has certainly been a learning experience for a guy who never did anything more than change his own oil until a few years ago.

Reply to
Kevin_S

After getting married more $$ ?? i think you will look in selling the jeep. ; )

"Kevin_S" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Patrick

That's what I was thinkin' ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Ya took the words right out of my keyboard!!!

:)

Patrick wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

Yes... There will more important things in life, like... diamonds, clothes, new appliances, vacations "we can do together", etc.

Reply to
JimG

Wow, lotsa work, Kevin. Thanks for posting.

Having gone through a '76 CJ5 back in '02, (well, it really never ends) I offer you a lot encouragement to stick with it. My '76 was a complete dog, but thankfully didn't need much rust restoration. A new engine, strip-to-metal & respray, new rear end and a zillion other details later it's just a hoot to own & drive. I know the feeling, however, of being partway through it and wondering why in the Hell I ever brought it home, in fact my friend Steve Rumore of Avalanche Engineering said I must be awfully bored to want TWO Jeeps!

Reply to
SoK66

Come on guys.... after I get married I'll have lots of extra $$ right? And we'll even have "relations" more often....

That's what all my married friends keep telling me. Don't tell me those bastards are trying to trick me! ;-) Misery loves company eh?

Actually she really likes the CJ. She just didn't like the leaky ehaust and holes in the floor creating an exhaust chamber with the soft top on, and the other safety issues (like steering problems). She really wants me to get it done, so we can take it camping instead of the XJ. Then again maybe she just wants her parking space in the garage back? I know I'm getting tired of scraping car windows every morning. I've already started grooming her for the next Jeep project.... I keep saying "you know in a couple years I'm gonna want another one to work on".

SoK66.... you mentioned Avalanche Engineering... are you in CO? I'm in Grand Junction.

Reply to
Kevin_S