rebuild transmission for 94 GC

Hi all, the transmission in my 94 GC is shot. It won't get out of first. I don't know how much it will cost to have pulled and repaired. It's been going south for a good solid year. First it was hard to get into 3rd, had to modulate the gas. Then it became impossible to get out of first once the transmission fluid had a few minutes to warm up.

I was thinking that a fully rebuild/reman transmission might be cheaper then the labor to pull the current trans and then have to repair it and get new parts. Are there any places in the US that sell fully assembled transmissions for this vehicle? It's got the I6 and has part time AWD.

Reply to
ESM

Since it has the I6 then it might have the AW4 Asin transmission like the I6 Cherokees have but I'm not sure. However they are considered bullet proof. If it were a Cherokee it could be the Throttle Position Sensor on the throttle body. You my want to try it. It's a ten minute, $30 fix. What happens is the Transmission Control Unit thinks you have your foot to the floor and won't shift untill it gets maxed out on the RPM's. Also if it is a AW4 then it DOES NOT use Chrysler fluid. It uses Dexron. Lots of confusion and mis information here on trans fluid.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

If this is a duplicate please ignore as a error occured as I was sending the original. First you might have the ASIN AW4 transmission as it's a I6. They are considered bullet proof. And if you do try the Throttle Postion Sensor. If it's bad the transmission controler thinks your foot is constantlly on the floor and won't shift till the rpm's are maxed out. This is a common problem on the I6 Cherokees with automatic. A $30 ten minute fix. Also they use Dexron fluid, not the Chrysler type.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Well this is actually the 3rd transmission. It went out at 35k miles, repaired under warranty, then it went out around 70 or 80k I think, repaired out out of pocket. Now it's at 140k miles but it's been slowly going south for a good 10-15k miles. I don't know which box it is. Is there an easy way to check?

Reply to
ESM

That sounds like a Chrysler tranny not a Asin AW4! I'm not sure how to tell. I got a build sheet from the dealer on my 96 xj and it listed everything including the transmission type.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

My Haynes manual says the three speed auto trans. ID #'s are stamped on the LEFT side of the transmission case just above the pan. The AW4 transmission ID "tag" is located on the RIGHT rear side of the case and is an ID tag with numbers stamped to identifym transmission.

-- Rick

Reply to
Rick

ESM did pass the time by typing:

If it's just the valve body, that's an easy repair (or replace). Don't even need to drop the tranny.

try

OEM without the OEM markup. (I have had goodexperiences dealing with them)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

3 failures in under 150K.. yup, sounds like a Chrysler transmission to me too..
Reply to
JohnM

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I disagree, Bill. Powerglides (I remember one Powerglide in a Nova with a 250 that went over 200K with no attention, although it did get a bit of new oil due to leakage), Turbo 350 & 400's, Allisons, C-6's, they'll all go a heap o' miles if you keep the temperature within reasonable limits, especially if you stiffen the oil a bit.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

"Stiffen", as in "Increase the viscosity".

Take your medicine, Bill, there's a good fellow..

John

Reply to
JohnM