Regular, Slotted, or Cross Drilled

I had posted this question a while ago, but I just wanted to be sure.

Need new rotors. I'm at 68,000 and have had them cut once already. I know that the factory rotors aren't the best. The question I have is what are the best rotors I can get that will resist warping?

The last time I asked I was told that regular rotors were fine, but I don't recall brands.

The first option is cross drilled rotors.

know that they're supposed to reduce heat and brake fade, but I rememberbeing told that they can really tear up the brake pads, so the regularrotors were better.

The other option that I found since then is slotted rotors.

're supposed to be better then regular rotors and help dissipate heatbetter then regular rotors, but I don't have to worry about tearing up thebrake pads.

Soooo, on that note, which do I want? If it's going to be regular rotors, just please let me know where I can get 'em in NJ

TIA

Hank

Reply to
viriiman

you got it the wrong way round :-)

Cross drill dissipate heat better under extreme conditions, slotted "tear up" / deglaze the pad.

Dave

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
viriiman

Drilled rotors are for race cars where it's no issue to replace the rotors at regular intervals since cross-drilled rotors are well known for cracking where they are drilled. Besides, unless you're racing your Jeep and doing repeated high-speed braking, they're a ridiculous upgrade that in my personal opinion is unneeded on a Jeep.

Jerry

ategory=Brakes&productcategory=Rotors%2FPads&sf1=JEEP&sf2=2001&sf3=Cherokee&

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

This is partially true, but it depends on whether or not the drilling is done before or after the stress relieving process. Most drilled rotors are drilled after, and that is the problem. I sell racing brake components for a local company that manufactures 1000's of brake rotors, including some for Winston Cup racing. the funny thing to note here is that most of the rotors I sell are to short track oval racers who do heavy braking, and guess what. No drilled or slotted rotors. They use a heavy vented rotor. The best scenario for a typical Jeep would be a countersunk relief rotor. This is basically a standard rotor that is cross drilled, but the drill depth is just enough for the point of the drill to penetrate until the "hole is the same size as the drill used. This is the best option if you are looking for some type of drilled or slotted rotor to clean the pads and cool the rotor a bit. But in all honesty at the speeds that most Jeeps are using repeated braking, the cooling requirements are about nil. there may be some benefit to prevent the pads from glazing, but the proper pads would all but eliminate that. Most stock rotors will fail if cross drilled due to the stresses added to the rotor unless they are relived afterwards. then they will more than likely need to be resurfaced as well. All in all I agree with Jerry here. The drilled rotors are just not necessary for an off road vehicle unless it is raced, and even then it is questionable. Oh and another thought. Wouldn't it be nice for your brake pads to have to deal with mud, sand and small rocks plugging all those holes up as well?

Chris

"Jerry Bransford" wrote in message news:TTh2b.10435$Qy4.6435@fed1read05...

ategory=Brakes&productcategory=Rotors%2FPads&sf1=JEEP&sf2=2001&sf3=Cherokee&

Very true, never though about the mud and rocks.

I guess I was looking into those because the rotors (Stock) that I have on there now didn't seem to last too long, but I guess they did.

ategory=Brakes&productcategory=Rotors%2FPads&sf1=JEEP&sf2=2001&sf3=Cherokee&

Reply to
viriiman

Not racing the jeep anytime soon.

Just though I would've wanted them because these rotors seemed to warp rather quickly between having them cut and now.

Hank

Reply to
viriiman

Stop running the lightweight factory composite rotors and go to a good quality solid cast rotor, you won't have any more warping. Be sure too to hand-torque all the lugnuts evenly (all at the same tightness, take your pick between 85 and 110 ft-lbs.) which may help reduce rotor warping too.

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address KC6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford