Relive Fuel Pressure

Need to change out the fuel fitler in my 89 Cherokee 4.0. I've heard I need to relieve fuel pressure before disconnecting the filter. I don't like the taste of gas. How do I relieve pressure? Do I need to? How do I restore fuel pressure?

Thanks

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

There's a Shraeder valve (like a big tire stem valve) on the fuel rail between the injectors. Unscrew the plastic cap covering the valve and after placing a rag underneath to catch the fuel, depress the little pin to relieve the fuel pressure.

Jerry

Carl Saiyed wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Thanks, Jerry. Can I assume it will re-build pressure on it's own with a bit of extra cranking?

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Yep, no problem... all automatically. :)

Jerry

Carl Saiyed wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Thanks. :-)

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

You can remove the fuel supply line from the fuel rail. Fuel will spray, so cover the connection with a rag. The obvious admonitions of closed areas and smoking should be observed.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

In the event it does not rebuild the pressure, you can disconnect the fuel supply at the fuel rail, direct the hose into a container, and cycle the key a few times until fuel comes out of the hose, then connect it back to the rail.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III