remove a roof rack from a Jeep liberty 2004

I need to remove a roof rack from a Jeep liberty 2004 Has any one done this ...I spoke to a Jeep dealer and they say that the holes through which they are bolted need to be filled up and the roof repainted I was wondering if there is another solution it some sort of Plug or grommets to fill the bolt holes any info will be helpful

Reply to
tech5

A new roof rack would be cheaper than filling the holes and repainting the roof. Just take off the roof rack, and put bolts and washers in its place. You could probably do an acceptable job using touch up paint to paint the bolt heads, flat washers under that and rubber or sealant under that. You may need shorter bolts. You could find plastic or rubber "knock out plugs" at an electrical supply house or hardware store, and just glue them in. That seems like a cheesier solution, but if you find high quality parts it may look all right.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

when I got my Wrangler 5 years ago it had a hideous (and nearly useless) roof rack bolted on the hard top. I took it off, and in the interest of saving time, I filled the 8 bolt holes in the fiberglass with regular silicone caulk. I haven't seen a drop of rain in it yet. I've been meaning to seal them in a more permanent manner, but it's pretty far down my list of things to do. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? ha.

Reply to
Micah

Reply to
Robert Francis

Reply to
philthy

long term = mig Short term = duct tape

Guess you could try JB-Weld, but I'm betting it would pop out after a summer or two of heat cycling.

Reply to
DougW