remove stuck bolt from tj control arm

I'm undertaking the first work I've ever done on my suspension: My control arm bushings are apparently shot (so I was told by the mechanic), but I decided to try my hand at replacing them myself.

Well, I started removing the right rear lower control arm last night, but ran into difficulty. I managed to get the nuts removed from both the bolts, and also to pry the bolt at the axle mount location out. However, now that it should be easy (the control arm is hanging freely from the frame mount location), I can't slide the bolt out holding that is holding the arm onto the frame mount. So far, I've tried:

Turning the bolt - it seems the bolt must be rusted to the metal sleeve lining the inside of the bushing, because I can turn the bolt without difficulty (in so doing probably also turning the sleeve as well, so what I'm really establishing is that the metal sleeve is not stuck to the bushing. Great, but not useful right now.)

Pounding on the bolt with a sledge to push it through - This has no effect. Plus, I am afraid to hit to TOO hard; I don't want to miss and damage the mount, or hit it so hard that I knock the jeep off the jackstands.

Prying the bolt off with a pry bar under the bolt head, as I did with the bolt at the axle mount location. No effect on this bolt.

Using a C-Clamp to press the bolt through. THIS WORKS, kinda. Unfortunately, It is a very tedious and crappy process, and gets more difficult once the bolt is flush with the mount (I'll have to get some smaller bolts to go between to continue this process). But, there's got to be a better way. Some way to PULL the bolt out rather than push it (what if this happens, but on the axle-mounting location, on the other rear control arm? The break drum backing plate will be in the way of using the C-Clamp to get around the problem then...

So, please help me out here; how can I best remove one of these bolts when stuck? Is there a particular puller tool I can buy that will allow me to more easily slide these bolts out?

Finally, some tip requests:

I've never removed control arms before, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Should I have the vehicle jacked up, or just sitting normally on the ground? Where should I best support the vehicle for this modification (so I can see if I should change my method for the next control arm removal/reattachment)? What is the best method for removing the existing bushing pieces from the control arm? Is there a good tool I should get for doing this? (Perhaps a tool that can be used both for pulling these bushings out and removing that stuck bolt mentioned above?)

Thank you very much in advance for reading through this long email and helping me with this problem. I am in somewhat of a hurry (this is my daily driver, and I haven't managed to line up a ride to work for tomorrow yet, so I'd like to at least get this one control arm out, bushings on it replaced, and reattached before nightfall tonight after work). I hope someone out there can provide some pearls of wisdom that will make this whole process a lot less difficult and time-consuming than it currently is.

Thanks, Bob

Email a copy of your response to me please if you can at snipped-for-privacy@mac.com. (Take out "spam" and "sucks" from the email address.)

Reply to
Bob

just sit it on the ground (all tires) the bolt should slide out .. i cant imagine what could be preventing this bolt from coming out unless its rusted in .. try some wd 40 ..soak that sucker , i replace these lower control arms and make my own and have never had a problem gettin the bolt out esp at the frame .. dont worry wbout damaging that upper mount on the frame for the lower control arm ,, you will do that anyway if you wheel it hard core

Reply to
LDpantera1