Removing a steering gear box

Anyone have any experience removing a steering gear box? I went to pull it off today (02 Wrangler) but couldnt get to the bolt that hold the intermediate shaft to the input shaft.

Thanks for your help!!

Reply to
leb6429

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Im talking about the coupler that connects the gear input shaft and intermediate shaft. Its in a really tight and awkward. I was wondering if i can drop the box down and then remove the coupler.

Thanks for the input!!

Reply to
leb6429

The FSM says to remove the bumper shield, power steering hoses, and then the "column coupler shaft" in that order. Then you remove the pitman arm, and unbolt and remove the steering gear. Reassembly might be a good place to use a thread locker product. The FSM says to use a *new* coupler pinch bolt. It says to align the pitman arm and coupler shaft on reassembly. It doesn't say anything about the coupler shaft being difficult to remove. ;^)

Torques are: mounting bolts -- 70 ft-lb pitman arm nut -- 185 ft-lb coupler pinch nut -- 36 ft-lb power steering hoses -- 21 ft-lb

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Turn the steering wheel?

Dropping it lower will give you room too.

I helped a friend remove his and we needed to do both of the above.

The TJ Saganaw steering box seems to have a very poorly designed input seal. It is a two piece adjusting plug that the steering and suspension shop we went to for the new seal said 'fails all the time'. They gave us an old style one piece adjusting plug to use instead of the stock style one.

Mike

Mike Romain