Removing Fan assembly in 2000 TJ?

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your recommendations on replacing my water pump. I'm trying to remove the fan assembly and water pump pulley to get at the water pump. I have already removed the radiator and fan shroud. I'm wondering if anyone can provide insight into performing this for a year 2000 4.0 6cyl engine?

I've been following Stu's write up at:

and a bit of the Service Manual.

I think my 2000 TJ differs slightly from Stu's engine. First, there are no nuts here:

bolts on the fan/water pump pulley. I removed the four bolts on the fan pulley and the serpentine belt, but the fan pulley nor the fan assembly doesn't slide off. Do I need to bang the fan/water pump pulley off?

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick Hughes

I should also mention that there is a large bolt in the center of the fan. It connects to the fan/water pump pulley. I can get a large adjustable wrench around it, however turning it counter-clockwise has no impact loosening it. Its like I need to hold something from the other side.

Any ideas?

Thanks

at:

Nick Hughes

Folks,

Just want to follow up with my findings. To remove the fan from the water pump/fan pulley I did the following:

  1. there are four 10 or 12mm so bolts on the fan water pump pulley
  2. place a box wrench on of the bolts and hold it, keep the belt on to help hold the pulley still
  3. place a large adjustable wrench on the BIG bolt that goes to the fan assembly. turn it counter clockwise while holding the box wrench
  4. THe fan will unbolt. You may need penatrating oil if stuff is rusted

To remove the water pump/ fan pulley you should unbolt the four bolts on it. Then tap it with a rubber mallet if it's stuck. My pulley was. If will come off just like the drum for your rear brakes.

Also note, the 2000 Jeep service manual doesn't really indicate how to release tension for the serpentine belt. To the left and underneath the alternator there is the tension adjuster pulley. You need a 1/2" breaker bar. The tension adjuster has a square hole to fit the breaker bar into. Use this to puck clockwise and take the tension off. Hold it and you can then slip off the serpentine belt.

H> Hi Folks,

at:

Nick Hughes