replace steering stop bolt...93 XJ????

i have one steering stop bolt that has since left the building, so i rub at fullturn one way, other is fine....anyone know what size bolt this is? i know i need a nut to replace the welded on nut on the original part, but without taking the one bolt out...i'm going to try this tonight, but i know it's been in there for awhile, and i don't think soaking it in PB is going to help much (already doing that for a few days)

so anyone know the right size bolt? is it metric? 5/16 is too small,

3/8 is too big, so i'm thinking metric...and how long? 1 1/2 inch?
Reply to
Joe

i have one steering stop bolt that has since left the building, so i rub at fullturn one way, other is fine....anyone know what size bolt this is? i know i need a nut to replace the welded on nut on the original part, but without taking the one bolt out...i'm going to try this tonight, but i know it's been in there for awhile, and i don't think soaking it in PB is going to help much (already doing that for a few days)

so anyone know the right size bolt? is it metric? 5/16 is too small,

3/8 is too big, so i'm thinking metric...and how long? 1 1/2 inch?
Reply to
Joe

Have you tried ordering a new steering stop bolt from the dealer?

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl

It isn't metric. Off the top of my head, I thought it was 3/8". But if it isn't, I guess it would be 11/32nds. Mine had to be drilled out and was replaced with a helicoil and 9mm.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

That would be a really odd size for a bolt, even with our primitive "English" system of measurement.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Well, not so common certainly, but you do come across it from time to time.

Dave Milne