Replace thermostat

'98 Cherokee 6-cyl. 112k miles

Two repair garages have told me they don't like to replace the thermostat unless it's absolutely necessary because the bolts holding the housing tend to break easily. Temp is varying a bit now and sticks about 20degrees cooler at times.....I'd like to replace the thermostat before leaving on a long driving trip next week. Radiator, hoses and water pump have recently been replaced.

Anyone with experience on this issue have any thoughts about ways to minimize the chance of breaking these bolts?

Thank you,

Reply to
Road Toad

L.W.(ßill)

Any shop that claims not to want to do the t-stat is only looking for more $$ from you... It is the cheapest and most often the first step in trouble shooting the cooling system, I changed the t-stat on my XJ about 2 months ago. The last time it was changed was when I bought it 5 years and 160,000 km's ago. The bolts came out with no problems.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Even if the bolts break, it would be worth doing it now, while you can make time for it, than to have to deal with it when (and where) the thermostat fails. Changing the T-stat is the first thing I do with any cooling system proble. I use anti-sieze on the bolts and gaska-seal on the gasket, silicon sealant produces acetic acid, which can cause corrosion, so i only use it where the surfaces are no longer smooth.

Reply to
Paul Calman

PS, proper thermostat operation is crucial for fuel injection systems.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks to all for your help on this issue.

Have a great day!

Reply to
Road Toad

You could try knocking on the bolt, that would create some vibration(to remove dust or rust) and would make the disassemblie easer.

Don't applie too much tork when unscrewing the bolt.

You could change the radiator cap, that doesn't cost much but it help to keep the pressure in the system.

Good luck!

Reply to
Minh-Thuan TRAN