Replaced my TJ with same... back on the NG

Greetings all,

I have been away from this newsgroup for a couple years as other interests (motorcycling) took me in other directions. I recently replaced my 97 TJ SE (an early one... came off the production line Mar'96) with exactly the same model (my friends say I am a glutton for punishment): a 05 TJ SE... like before, with half doors, year-round soft top, but a great new colour (I used to have white): electric lime green. Some people love the colour and others ask me, with derision in their voice, if I paid extra for that.

Yes the 4-cyl SE is a bit of a pig on the highway but, personally, I think Wranglers of all types get unsafe at high speeds anyhow and other than anaemic highway acceleration, I was totally happy with my 97 SE... it got through the Jeep Jamboree just fine. I didn't realize it, but it looks like a whole different engine in there than what was in the 97... looks like a lot more "empty space" in the engine compartment. Having the 6th gear is really great for highway cruising. It seemed to go through a tank of gas a lot slower on a recent trip up to the Bruce Peninsula but I am wondering if perhaps it has a larger tank than the 97 (?).

Somehow, the stock stereo in the 05 sounds even crappier than the stock stereo in the 97... how do they manage to do that? It came with the centre console (without subwoofer). Is there anyway to add any "ooomph" to that thing? I'm not looking for high quality, near perfect sound because, frankly, in a soft top it's a waste 'cuz you can't hear much anyhow.

Didn't ask for them, but it came outfitted with cloth seats and alloy wheels which is nice. Except that now my rear wheel bike rack doesn't fit because the centre hole isn't big enough... I think I will have to get a used steel rim and tire. My other complaint is that the whole rear seat mechanism is so damn complicated and takes up more space than in the 97.

But, overall, I'm enjoying it a lot... more comfortable, more reliable and nice to be able to see out of the plastic windows again (for a few years, anyhow). Also, looking forward to being back on the newsgroup. I am pleased to see that some of the same names are still around and that people are still bowing in praise (justifiably) to Mike Romain ;-)

Cheers, Neil Baldwin Burlington, ON, Canada

Reply to
Neil Baldwin

Oh, forgot to mention, it came with a locking gas cap conveniently keyed to the ignition key. I thought Mike Romain would appreciate that.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Baldwin

Welcome back Neil.. I'm pretty new here myself. When I got my 98 TJ, I was so happy to see that this NG is even more active than my old usenet home, RAMVA (rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled) ..

-Dave

Reply to
Dave

welcome back and the motor is different now 2.4 instead of 2.5 :))

Reply to
IsellJeeps

Welcome back Neil. Maybe we will catch you on a trail some day. That funky green should be easy to spot. ;-)

I do like the idea of a cap with a real key in it for sure!

Mike

Neil Baldw>

Reply to
Mike Romain