Replacement Fuel Tank for 94 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 liter with 15 gallon tank

Aloha from Hawaii,

I was recently involved in an accident with my 94 Jeep wrangler (2.5 liter) in which my jeep was rear-ended while it was parked by a honda doing 60+ it did some pretty major damage to the rear end of my jeep including cracking my fuel tank. I took it in to my mechanic and he said that it would be cheaper to fix my tank rather than replace it (Apparently 93 and newer fuel tanks are fiberglass) so I went ahead and took it to a fiberglass repair shop, they have tried to repair it

2 times, and it continues to leak. I am looking at getting a new tank, but a new tank runs about 500+ (only can find through the dealership).

What I had a few questions on is this.

In Quadratec's catalog they sell fuel tanks for jeep wranglers up to I think 92 model year. These are steel tanks and run about 150+. can anyone please tell me the difference between a Steel 92 tank and a 94 fiberglass tank. Is there any difference in size or dimension? I have an external fuel pump for my jeep, is the 92 tank also a external or internal?

I was hoping that someone on hear might have had a prior experience with this. I want to know if a 92 tank will bolt up into my 94 wrangler without much fabrication work. Or if not, if anyone knows a cheaper replacement which will bolt in without much modification into a 94 jeep wrangler.

I have been thinking about just buying a fuel cell and modifying it to fit, but that is a lot of work. Any ideas? Please contact me at snipped-for-privacy@hawaii.rr.com or post to this newsgroup as I will check back often.

David snipped-for-privacy@hawaii.rr.com

Reply to
David Vela

As far as I know, the late Wrangler tanks are ABS. That is why your fiberglass repair shop is unable to repair it. Fiberglass resin won't stick work a damn to ABS. It is possible that a crack can be welded or repaired with solvent glue, but maybe not after your fiberglass guys have gotten resin all over it.

Call a recycler on the mainland and ask if they can ship you a used tank for less than the dealership price. These guys

email.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Aloha,

Well that makes sense. I cannot believe that both my mechanic and the fiberglass repair place both couldnt tell me that the tank is ABS plastic and not fiberglass. That would have saved me a quite a bit of money had I known that in the first place.

Thanks for the refferall for the gemini-sales. I emailed them to see if they have a tank they could send me.

So can anyone else verify for sure if the 94 (and newer) tanks are really abs plastic, or fiberglass.

DAvid

Reply to
David Vela