Replacement Muffler - 1990 YJ 4.2L ??

Greetings!

I'm replacing the tail pipe and muffler on a 1990 4.2L Jeep Wrangler. I've ordered a replacement exhaust pipe from the local auto parts store, but I wanted a muffler with a little more attitude than a stock replacement. The existing original muffler is 13" long, with a center

2" inlet and an offset 2.25" outlet. I can't find any aftermarket muffler that matches these dimensions. Has anyone encountered this and found a solution?

Thanks!

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Generally folks buy a cat-back system that replaces everything from the catalytic converter back to the exhaust tip. But since you got the pipe your options are limited to OEM unless you want to do some fabrication yourself or have a muffler shop weld one in for you.

Your basic muffler shop can put anything you want in there. I'd stay away from glasspacks (too loud for most folks) Thrush, and just about any other aftermarket can be made to fit, except possibly the Gibson as it's much longer than stock.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
bschwarz6

I was hesitant to buy a complete cat-back system because I couldn't find anything economical and it just doesn't warrant a $300 stainless mandrel bent Borla system with twin gold plated slash cut oval resonator tips. The tailpipe was $24 and a Thrush or Summit muffler is ~$30, but neither is available in a center inlet / offset outlet. Guess OEM will have to do.

-rev

DougW wrote:

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Yep, the SS cat-back systems are pricy. And even then they sometimes need a bit of cutting to make fit. I went with an aluminized one to save some bucks (and because I drag it over rocks anyway)

Measure the offset and the overall length and take that to a local muffler shop. They can find a fit or they can fabricate a flange to make it fit. I do some of my own work but then take it to a local shop to weld up the pipe. I just don't like U clamps. _________ __| | |__ |__ --- offset | | ___ | __| | |_________| | | |----length-----|

If your going OEM, give these folks a check for price.

check NAPA, they might have a direct fit replacement. Also check here

DougW

I went with a Dynomax 'Superturbo' muffler on my 4.2. I believe the shop used a reducer to fit the front opening. Meant one more muffler clamp too.

It has a nice rumble.

Mike

Mike Romain