Replacing Lighter Socket? 2000 Jeep TJ

Hi Folks,

My lighter socket is having connection problems. I'm assuming some sort of oxidation of the hot tip is playing a role. Has anyone replaced one? I'm able to turn it in circles, but can't figure out how to remove it from it's dash unit.

Insight much appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick Hughes

Usually the outer case unscrews from the back side then you pull it out the front.

Mike

Mike Romain

The lighter is a 2 piece unit that screws together and it sounds like the back half is rotating freely.

If you can get behind the dash you can grab and hold it while you turn the front or on some models AFTER DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY you can reach in with a pair of needle nose pliers through the front and twist the front part.

It is also possible the hot wire might be loose or as the unit grounds through the case if your lighter unit is loose you are getting, occasionally, a non grounded circuit.

You can test this by pinning the lighter unit to its grounding frame with a screwdriver while you try operating the lighter.

Reply to
billy ray

Thanks Folks.

Bill, were you able to purchase the standard Chrysler lighter socket at an autoparts store or did you need the dealership?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Hughes

Nick, It would never occur to me to go to a dealership for something like a cigarette lighter unless I had a creampuff collector car.

You can buy whole lighter units (receptacle & lighter plug) starting at about $5 for the plain models and $10 for the fancy ones.

I know the 'lighters' come is a couple sizes but I think the dashboard holes are standard size. Take the old one to the store to be on the safe side.

Reply to
billy ray

I replaced the one on my 99 TJ. I had to use the plastic tab for the cover to back-up the back side of the lighter to prevent it from sliding through. I also had to trim the the back side of the dash to get everything to fit.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Sounds like you needed one with a bezel.

Reply to
billy ray

This was a while ago, but IIRC, all of the ones with bezels had too large of a cannister to fit properly. The stock one is keyed and rotates into a locked position instead of being sandwiched with a bezel.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
Nick Hughes

I would buy the genuine replacement, and then quit smoking so it doesn't wear out like the last one did. What are they, like $4.00 a pack now, for the good ones? Math says that if you stop smoking, you can afford the dealership item.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

"Earle Horton" wrote in news:44f4a9b8$0$8938$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com:

Also check Ebay. I picked on up on there a couple of years ago...

Reply to
Red Jeep

Nick

I have a 1999 TJ. To get at the Lighter Socket, you have to remove the PLASTIC DASH SURROUND that goes around the A/C-Heater Vents and Controls, the Radio, and the Switch Mounting bracket/ Lighter bracket and ashtray in the middle of the dash.

This is easy to do! First, remove the plastic piece on top of the dash with the defrost vent holes. It's about 3" x about 36" long. I used a small putty knife to carefully pry it up, as it is only just held in with plastic clips (Be careful you don't break them!).

This will give you access to two 1/4" phillips screws that hold the top part of the center plastic dash surround. Remove these two screws. Next remove the ashtray from the dash and you will find another 1/4" phillips screw behind. Remove this screw.

Then carefully pry off the plastic dash surround, using the putty knife, from the bottom and along each side at the bottom of the dash surround and the whole piece will just pop straight off toward you.

Then you can just remove the four 1/4" phillips screws that holds the switch mounting bracket and the cigarette lighter socket and unplug the Lighter from the rear connector.

Just reverse the above procedure to reinstall everything, being careful to not break the little plastic tabs when you push them back into their holes.

Good Luck!

cwm2

Nick Hughes wrote:

Reply to