REQ: Stupid air intake question

Hi ya'll

I purchased a 97 XJ and was taking a look over it. I noticed the air intake box draws it's air from the engine compartment under the hood. Directly in front of it is a plate secured by two screws that will allow the draw from outside the vehicle.

Why wouldn't this be connected or is this a normal thing? Just doesn't make sense to me since the cooler air would be a slight increase in HP or am I wrong in that thought.

Just asking and I appreciate your answers.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

There was an interesting debate in another group a while back about the effects of cool air, something to the effect that the cool air might be slightly denser but that slightly warmer air allows a better mix of fuel/air (along the same lines that hot water can hold more of a dissolved solid). So in theory an engine might have an easier time making a good air/fuel mix with slightly warmer air.

The argument went on for quite a while but nobody ever came back with scientific results (dyno tests, etc) so no meaningful conclusion could really be reached from the debate.

Personally, I'd leave things the way they are as it should provide additional protection against things like sucking rainwater into your engine.

Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter

I believe they finally got smart and closed off that water ram chute because of too many blown engines.

Some earlier ones had that opening hooked up so when you hit any kind of water puddle and the water splash came above the bumper, the engine inhaled it and hydrolocked. This blows pistons, connecting rods, cranks, etc.

If you think about how many times water makes it up onto the hood of a Cherokee when puddle jumping.... Then if you try a creek crossing, well.....

Some YJ's has this water ram chute hooked up too so they have to be really careful off road or disconnect the thing before hitting puddles. I have been with one that hydrolocked because of it. he was very lucky he was going slow.

Mike

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain