restoring '65 CJ-5: advice on wiper repair, parts sources,

Hello folks. I'm a newbie here, so please forgive any breach of custom.

I'm in the midst of restoring my old '65 CJ-5. I bought it used in '68, drove it through high-school and college then put it up on blocks in my parent's garage in '82. It spent 25+ years in that dry garage in Calif and still in in pretty good shape (only

80K miles on it, 'cept for the rebuilt engine w/ < 500 miles). I've replaced nearly all rubber parts, fluids, etc. and it runs with a satisfying (loud) purr that only '60's flat-head 4 and create.

I have two questions today:

0) the (vacuum driven) windshield wipers don't work - I need repair advice

the vacuum seems sufficient, but there appears to be too much friction in the mechanism it. So, how do I get them working again?

I hesitate to open them up for fear of destroying old, perhaps irreplaceable gaskets. I expect it does need disassembly, parts cleaning, re-lubrication and reassembly - I've put a tiny bit of WD-40 on the outside shaft bushings but, so far, that has made no difference. The internal direction reversing valving seems to work OK if I help the blades move a bit by hand.

Any suggestions appreciated!

1) I'm looking for good pointers to parts sources, either on-line, or in SF Bay Area for (this nearly antique) CJ-5.

2) Finally, do you folks have any idea what this jeep is worth?

Many thanks, NoSpam

P.S. Bonus question: her name is LuLu - can you guess the origin of her name?

***

Hello folks. I'm in the midst of restoring my old '65 CJ-5. I bought it used in '68, drove it through high-school and college then put it up on blocks in my parent's garage in '82. It spent

25 years in that dry garage in calif and is still in pretty good shape (only 80K miles on it, 'cept for the rebuild engine w/ < 500 miles).

I have Two questions today:

the (vacuum driven) windshiled wipers don't work well

- the vacuum seems sufficient, but there appears to be too much friction in it. so: how do I get them working again? I hesitate to open them up for fear of destroying old, perhaps replaceable. I've put a tiny bit of WD-40 on the outside shaft bushings but so for that has made no difference. The internal direction reversoing valving seems to work ok if I help the blades move a bit by hand.

Reply to
NoSpam