Rotors warping

Larry Greenwood did pass the time by typing:

grounded? :) Try "turned"

Once warped rotors tend to rewarp fairly quickly. You may be fine but it is possible they will warp in a few more months. Generally for the price I'd opt for new rotors and pads, they are easy to install with just a few simple tools.

Reply to
DougW

With 30k miles, the brake rotors on 01 GC warped while on a trip. I managed to have them grounded and the front pads replaced for $260 at a jeep dealership.

According to my owners manual rotors are excluded from warranty after 12k miles.

Should I have to eventually replace the rotors in the future, are there some good products besides the original equipment?

Larry Greenwood

Reply to
Larry Greenwood

I had thought someone on here said that DC had gone to a new type of rotor that wouldn't warp as easily. Thought they had said it was after 1999 or something...

Reply to
SB

SB did pass the time by typing:

They did and you may be fine if this is the first turning. Rotors don't warp "just because", there has to be a contributing factor. #1 on the list is improper torque on the lugs. All lugs should be torque the same and within spec for your vehicle.

Close second is heat-soak (heavy use followed by an extended period of sitting with the brakes on). That keeps the pads on the rotor and that one spot will not cool down as well as the rest. (yea, it isn't avoidable to some extent)

The OEM rotors on my ZJ lasted about two years after the first turning. When they warped again I took them to Midas (warranty) for replacement but they convinced me (against my own better judgement) that the rotors could be turned again. Told them they would warp and they did. They also wouldn't credit against new rotors despite telling me they would. They lied and they were incompetent. So I just replaced the rotors myself.

Sad rilly, the local Midas owner aparently sold out to a bunch of idiots. (long story, got to go to work.) ^_^

Reply to
DougW

WJ's rotors and calipers changed 2002 at least in US market. For '99 to mid '02 WJs have n:th replacement TSB:

For 30K and warped rotors is a bit too early, grounded rotors (if this means turning, does not help on the long run) is trowing money away. The rotor is already heat damaged, and I would meet at halfway and pay half of new revised set (TSB).

I have 0500501a TSB installed rotors and calipers in '01 WJ, product codes match b TSB list. They did not even last 20K miles, warped again. Lug nuts torqued and measured with calibrated tool when I changed summer tires to winter tires and back. Currently DC is trying to figure out whether they replace rotors anew under product warranty or not. TSB work was done in California, vehicle is now in Finland. Warranty was trasferred to European warranty upon move. If this does not turn out to be warranty work, I'll go for Stillen rotors.

Marko

Reply to
marko

You need to find a shop that knows how to properly install tires.

Hint: it isn't using an air impact gun.

Mike

Larry Greenwood wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jerry McG

True, sometimes you can't help this, but if you know your brakes are cooking hot and you have to come to a dead stop (like a traffic light at the bottom of a long hill), come nearly to a full stop early and let your truck creep slowly forward. It may tick off the person behind you, but it will keep the heat-soaked pads moving to new areas of the rotors.

Even better, if your truck has a seperate parking brake, take your foot completely off the pedal after setting the hand brake. This lets air circulate between the rotor and pads. Wait until there is a car behind you so someone doesn't ram you, and don't forget to release the parking brake!

Warped rotors suck. They can be such a nuisance!

John Davies

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

My rotors warped at about 35k kms. The dealer turned them at the time and I have driven for another 7k and so far they are holding. But in the meantime, I have retorqued the lug nuts using my own torque wrench and I try not to brake hard (unless the idiot in front of me decides to)!!

TW

--

01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto Dana 44 rear, 265/75R16 BFG Muds

Reply to
TW

You didn't hear wrong.

Some places have a grinder for truing up a warp.

I think it probably works better than a turn. A turn can still follow the warp to a certain point, but more important a turn takes off a layer of metal. A grind takes off the minimum or just the high spots.

Mike

Larry Greenwood wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Always heard "turned" although modern rotors should be milled. Too often I've seen rotors that look like a spiral was cut into them by too fast/deep a turning. Some folks don't have enough time to do it right but more than enough to do it over. :/

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Ok "turned", I swear I thought the dealer said "ground".

Larry

Reply to
Larry Greenwood

Reply to
mic canic

Here is your typical dealer scam artist at work....

He uses an impact gun to hammer on your wheel lug nuts with his 'fancy' torque stick maybe attached to is and totally ignores the Chrysler TSB saying they need to be hand torqued on.

He then doesn't really act too surprised when you come back with rotors warped all to hell and says 'no problem, it happens all the time, we will turn them under warranty now!' Aren't you lucky!!!

He then hammers the wheels back on with his gun after taking away half the life of the rotors.

So then comes the 'surprise!', the warranty runs out and the rotors have warped again and because they were 'sooo' nice to you and turned them down under warranty, you now find 'you' have to go and buy new rotors because they cannot be 'fixed' or turned down again.

'I' would not accept a butcher job on a new vehicle on a high wear part. If the rotors warped, a replacement is all that is acceptable under 'warranty'. Not a total rip off 'fix' that is going to cost 'me' money down the road.

Mike

mic canic wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain