Rough Idle 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.7L

Hope someone can help. Wife has the '04 GC with 4.7L HO AWD. We've had it to the dealer, (tune up at 40K miles w/platinum plugs) and still when you first start the car is when it's the worst. Has a rough idle. When the RPM's are raised it smooths out. Still averaging ~18 MPG...but the rough idle is a nusiance.

Took the car to our local service center. They could find nothing wrong! Cleaned the throttle body and added a cleaner to the tank. Still NO good. Wife loves this Jeep!

Hoping someone has lucked into the problem and knows the fix. Dan in TN

Reply to
Dano

This sounds like idle air control motor. These can get pretty dirty and cause idle problems, but are easy to clean (30-min job) with some carb cleaner spray.

See the "Cleaning the throttle body and IAC plunger" section at

TakeFlight

Reply to
philthy

at

I cleaned the IAC plunger on the 04 GR today. Made ALL the difference in the world! RUNS and IDLES FLAWLESSLY! THANK YOU!!! Quite a bit of carbon build up and cleaned with carb cleaner. Thank you again! Dan in TN

Reply to
Dano