Rough running cj

I have a CJ with a 232 motor with a holley 2bbl carb on topm a mister gasket spacer. the carb is a 280 cfm. It runs rough at low speeds and when cold. it also misses at all speeds when it rains. I think the rough running is from a vac leak under the carb. I'm only running a pcv, dist. advance and brake booster. no canister. I have rebuilt the carb. replaced the head, intake and exhaust gaskets with fel-pro. Also replaced the cap, rotor,plugs and checked the wires. plus set the timing. also lapped in the valves and replaced the seals when the head was off.. AND replaced all connectors on the coil and starter relay. if it rains for 5 min. I'm done. the jeep will miss to were it's undrivable. can anyone HELP

thanks Don

Reply to
Big Don

I would wait for dark and start it up, open the hood and spray the wires with water from a mist bottle.

If you have pyrotechnics, you have found the trouble.

Mike

Big D>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Oh, also I just had the same thing going on so figured distributor cap. I am on my way camping tonight so changed it today. The old one looked new with only 2 years and low miles on it, but the damn thing had a small crack on the inside of the coil post.... Bingo...

Mike

Mike Roma>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Big Don did pass the time by typing:

Missing when wet is a good sign of electrical problems. How's your engine ground strap? Try a jumper cable from the block to the frame.

Take some TB/Carb cleaner and spray it around the base of your carb. If the engine stammers you found a leak.

Don't forget all the other vac lines. Cracks anywhere in the system will mess up a carbureted engine and cause stammer/rough idle.

Rough idle when cold can be the electric choke if you have one.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks guys. I'll check all tonight

Reply to