Rust-proofing brake mountings?

'61 CJ3B

I have the drums off, shoes, adjusters and brake cylinders off for cleaning and replacement. The mounting areas for the brake parts are relatively rust free - should I paint them before putting brakes and drums back on? Recommendation on paint?

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
Yamash

It won't hurt, but if it is "relatively rust free" there after forty-five years, then there isn't much need. You could powder coat the backing plates, I suppose, but I would recommend any spray paint designed for metal use. Naval Jelly or a similar product is good to use, if there is in fact an appreciable amount of rust.

If I had a CJ3B, that still ran, heck I would think about chrome plating the backing plates, but not the drums. I knew a guy who did that once. It was a good plating job too, not easy to remove. ;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

If you realy have to paint them make sure that you use a high temp paint (same stuff you put on your engine block) otherwise the heat from your breaks will just bubble it off :)... I have never seen the need to paint brake parts but then again I useually brake things too often to worry about rust.. your call just use the high temp stuff and don't get it on any contact parts

Reply to
UtahCherokee01