Scambler questions

I'm thinking about getting either a scrambler or an older CJ for my next project vehicle. What years where scramblers made? What kind of price range would be reasonable for one running and in half decent condition? Are they collected?

Reply to
Simon Juncal

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 02:55:14 -0500, Simon Juncal shared the following:

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Simon,

CJ8s are VERY collectable, but not unobtainable. One with 17k miles just went for $18k on EBAY recently, but it was a real gem. Charles Kuralt's CJ8 sold for mid Twenty-Something this year, but it was a loaded black CJ8 with under 10k miles. Beeeeauuutiful! A friend of mine bought a running '82 with some inconsequential, light surface rust for $1k. How's THAT for a definitive answer??

Take your time look> I'm thinking about getting either a scrambler or an older CJ for my next

Reply to
twaldron
1) 1981-1986

2) More than comparable CJ5s and CJ7s for sure. There's always the chance that you could find an exceptional deal, but for a Scrambler in good condition with no rust you won't spend less than $6,000, probably much more. I saw one in mint condition with less than 4,000 miles go for $25,000. We paid $15k for ours which is in perfect shape but had some replaced parts and was not truly mint.

3) Yes. Scramblers are arguably THE most collectible Jeep model.

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

Don't forget the CJ-6.

Reply to
TJim

thank you Jim......mines a 1975

Reply to
Onlyinajeepcj7

I have seen figures saying that there were over 50,000 CJ6's produced, while the CJ8 number is closer to 27,000. It seems to me this would make the CJ8s more of a rarity (although they were produced more recently so perhaps more of them are still around.)

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

A neighbor has just glommed onto a very, very clean rust-free '84 Scrambler in the original paint with the original full soft top. (I'm dying of envy.) He paid .... get this ....$5,500 from it's original owner down in Albuquerque. He refuses to sell.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

I was happy with mine, I found it "local" for 4200 in decent shape w/ 3 tops 2 sets of doors, Tuffy console ect.

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

When was the last time you saw a CJ6 on the road? I see CJ8s occasionally. I have never seen a CJ6 on the road or trail.

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)