Scout or other axles in a Willys Wagon?

What are some of the better axles that can be put under a 50's Willys wagon?

The stock axles are only good for maybe ~50 mph, and even re-geared they're still fairly light 50 year old axles. I'm looking to do regular long distance freeway driving every day and occasionally tow a trailer - never rock crawling or swamping and only the ocassional muddy road 'up north' on vacation. I'm not fixing up a Willys Wagon to bash it up in the woods - this'll be my daily driver.

The engine/tranny/transfer is going to be something far more modern than stock. Driveshafts are pretty easy to modify, as are crossmembers & engine mounts since the driveline I'm using are so close to the stock Willys mounts it's unreal. I also want to stay with the stock driveline/driveshaft geometry with the tranfer case going to the rear axle (roughly) in the center and the front shaft going up on the passenger side.

I've heard about using Scout axles. Any particular year range? Any of them have disc brakes or are conversions available? Anything that's beefy but still good for regular long haul freeway speeds (75 mph or so for 5 or 6 hours straight).

Or to ask a little differently: What's under YOUR Willys?

Thanks for reading, - Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

I swapped in a Dana 44 from an 80 model Cherokee/Wagoneer into the front end of my old Willies pickup a long time ago, from memory it was pretty much the same width, the back was a different story as the pickup had a much wider rear axle than the front, I used an F150 nine inch, I imagine that the Willies wagon would have similar widths front and back so you could just swap in both axles, too easy! 3.55 gear ratios and disk brake front you will be able to cruise the highways no worries

Glenn XJ Cherokee CJ 5

Reply to
Glenn Wainwright