seeking advice RE Wrangler transmission overhaul

My 94 Wrangler (4 cyl, 170,000 miles) started having problems with the

5-speed manual transmission. First I lost 5th gear, then it started seizing or locking up in reverse, and finally it started locking up in first also.

I have now removed it from the vehicle, and separated the transmission from the transfer case; and now I am wondering if it makes sense to try to fix it myself, or if I should send it out. (I have repaired transmissions myself before, but not for quite a few years.)

My biggest concern with trying to fix it myself is whether I will be able to find the parts; are there any retailers out there who sell individual components for transmissions??? Also, will I need to have access to a hydraulic press to get the bearings, gears, etc. off of their shafts?

Does anybody have a ballpark idea of how much it should cost to have it rebuilt? And where would be the best place to take it?

One other question: As long as I have the transmission down, I probably ought to replace the clutch, also. Are there any special "gotchas" that I need to watch out for? Will I have to buy some kind of alignment tool to get the new pressure plate centered properly?

Thanx in advance!

Reply to
jwallacq

You should be able to buy the trans parts from the dealer. I got a new clutch for my 89 YJ from eBay for around $125. It was an OEM replacement clutch. It inlcuded clutch disk, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and alignment tool. Be sure you get the flywheel resurfaced.

One last tip. Take one of the transmission to bellhousing bolts to the hardware store and get one of the same thread but about 5" longer. Cut the heads off and taper the ends. Also cut a slot into the end so you can use a screwdriver to remove the rods. Thread the rods into the lower four mounting holes before you re-install the transmission. When you re-install the transmission, simply put the transmission on those rods and it will slide right into perfect alignment with zero pressure on the pilot bearing.

This would also be a good time to change the transfer case fluid.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Do you think you need 4 of them? I was figuring two should do, one on each side. I already have misc. chunks of threaded rod the right size kicking around so I am going to just cut off chunks of that.

I have an engine to swap soon and will try that likely.

Mike

Mike Romain

I think two installed in the upper two holes might allow the trans to tip down a little bit, and two in the lower holes might allow it to tip up. I suppose three would work.

Using four rods, I was easily able to install my AX-5 with t-case attached without help.

Let me know if you use the rods and how you like it.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

The OP was asking about a clutch alignment tool. As far as aligning the transmission goes, I just "eye" it, and then slide it in there with one hand, while the other is ready with a bolt. ;^)

Earle

replacement

transmission

Reply to
Earle Horton

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I have had no issues using the plastic jig that comes with the new clutches.

Mike

Earle Hort>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Earle,

I have every confidence that you can lift, align, and install a transmission with one hand. Including wiggling the output shaft to get the splines to line up. ;-).

Actually, when I looked at my AX5, I think I could have lifted it with my arms and slid it into place if I had removed the transfer case. But the issue with this is when you remove your hands to try to put a bolt in, you are putting a LOT of pressure on the input shaft and pilot bearing because the weight is bearing down onto them instead of the neat little threaded rods. Not to mention the risk of death if the transmission falls on you properly.

Mike,

Let me know how it goes.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Will do.

I want to have an engine swapping party soon. I am getting my 'new' 87 slowly together to swap the stronger engine out of my 88 into and junk the 88. The 87's engine has really low compression all across. There isn't really anything to part out on the 88 except the side windows and back hatch door, LOL, it is rotten.

Mike

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I buy the bolts that have about 1 inch of thread and then a smooth shank. I guess i forgot to mention that, as I figured it was common sense..

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I could see the threads as a two sided issue. One it makes it harder to slip on, but in the second place it makes it harder to slip off....

I will post the results when this happens. I am going to use the threaded rod.

Mike

Will H>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Of course the best option is a polished concrete floor and a transmission jack. That is what they use in the magazines, the guys with the $50,000 worth of shop equipment to work on two cars.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Now we know who hunted those innocent Naugas into extinction !

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I've had a trans slip while reinstalling it. No fun having that on your chest, it'd probably kill you if it fell on your head.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Reply to
Will Honea