seized camshaft, replacement engine cost?

Lost power Wrangler 2000 4l in-line 6 cyl. and got it towed. One owner (me) 148,000 miles. Garage thought at first it was timing chain problem. Got into the engine and turns out cam shaft seized up. That means a new motor. Anyone have any ideas on why that would happen. No oil pressure problems or other signals. No problems with the car in 8 years easy driving. Does $3,500 or so sound right for purchase and installation of new rebuilt engine? Around NY. Love the car and it has always been good to me, but surprised it would give out so easily.

Reply to
jeepfreak

The I-6 Jeep engines normally get around 150k to 200k, the 4L a bit less than the 4.2L. Sounds like yours was a bit on the low side but not out of line with expectations.

$3500 for a full remanufactured engine with install sounds reasonable, you might it down a bit with some shopping. This assumes that it really was remanufactured (full tear down, full clean, all parts inspected, reground, replaced)and not just a quick rebuild of your engine.

The cam is a potential for just remove/replace (it's what I would do on mine as a winter project) but the miles on the engine pretty much assure you that something else will break fairly soon. Unless you did the work yourself, you probably wouldn't save much.

jeepfreak wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

145k here, 100k of that after I installed a blower. :)

I'd agree, 3,500 is fairly close to what it goes for around here. Might want to ask rhinoengines.com what they have and cost.

Depending on what can be reused (replace the lifters, valve seals, rods, and springs) He might be able to go with a shortblock.

chryslerpartsdirect.com (a dealership I buy parts from) has the shortblock for only 1988.55 (Block, Pistons, Rings, Pins, Rods, Main Bearings And Crankshaft.)

Seized cam could be anything from bearing failure, oil blockage, jammed up lifter/rod, overheat, all sorts of things you will only find once the engine is torn down. Got to agree with the replace (or sent to a local rebuild shop)

For 8 years old, you might look at what the money could do against a newer used Jeep. It's a buyers market, especially close to end-of-year tax season. Depends on your pocketbook, but since when were Jeeps kind to the pocket book. :/

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
Jeep America #1

thats funny you calling me a troll when your only purpose in here is to stir things up just like 24bitch and punk fraud

Cujo DeSockpuppet wrote:

Reply to
Jeep America #1

dont use that kind of language about someone who served this country unlike you you were stuffing your face at taco bell

and most of the newsgroup supported bill it was just the haters and flamers that tried to run him off usenet and they succeeded well h>Jeep America #1 wrote in

Reply to
Jeep America #1