Shock absorbers for 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9

We bought a 98 5.9 limited Grand Cherokee last November for the occasional weekend trip and once or twice a year to Oregon and Nevada.

Some of these trips are in winter with at least some snow. We very occasionally drive dirt roads, both dry and wet. My Honda Civic would have no trouble other than all the bouncing around.

The previous owner put on Yokohama Geolander tires, K&N air intake, and Flowmaster exhaust. Everything else appears stock, the sticker under the hood indicates that the computer is factory, I guess we don't know for sure. It passed CA smog.

This beast needs shocks, it appears to have the factory units ( 75k miles ).

After looking around, it appears that the Edelbrock Performer IAS is a good choice.

What other shocks should I consider?

Thanks, Doug

Reply to
Doug

I like mine, but if I had to do it again (and will in about another year) I would go with some air-adjustable ones like the Rancho. Pushed these shocks hard and they work well. Thing is I'm not so sure they don't sustain deathwobble by being softer when the suspension is relaxed. Probably a better shock for the rear axle. Then again the design has had over nine years to mature since I got mine.

Reply to
DougW

Sears has Monroe GasMatic LT shocks on sale 40% off ($17.99)

Reply to
billy ray

I had edelbrock IAS on a TJ. They were a little bouncy, but that's a TJ. Overall, I liked them.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Doug proclaimed:

Kinda depends on you. The Rancho RSX9000 adjustable allows you to change your shocks from highway to offroad. The newest version of their control *appears* to have resolved most of the leak issues with the older units. If your Nevada trip includes some of the higher speed non-highway but non-hardcore trails, they are kinda nice as you can cruise a bit higher speed without needing a kidney belt. Then if you go into the rougher trails you can adjust them again quickly. I have these, with the newer model remote and do like the ability to change damping quickly between highway and offroad--since my creditors prefer I spend most time on road.

For general highway use with your off-road never needing to rock crawl, the Edelebrock IAS is an excellent choice.

Reply to
Lon

In general I agree with you. They are the best shocks I have tried on my JGC. However, they don't help at all on washboard roads. Don't know if any shocks would help that situation. Need a more compliant suspension.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

FWIW: I put those on my 96 JGC and quite frankly I didn't like them. After another 30K or so I replaced them with new OEM HD shocks which are still in service at 175K. So spend your money on different product.

bobmct

The short story: I am going to get the Edelbrock IAS performers. Thanks to everyone who responded.

I was surprised how long it took somebody to tell me to get OEM replacements considering I indicated that while I own this ZJ it will never go 'off road'. Well, intentionally anyway...

I agree with billy ray that the roughest this ZJ has ever seen is a county fair parking lot. In my original post I tried to say that it probably will not get any rougher. I think it was set up for towing, ski boat maybe?

For anybody who cares, here are my thoughts on your feedback:

Rancho air adjustables: I just don't need adjustables. Maybe if I were going to off-road or tow something big. But then, towing something big with a ZJ is probably not such a good idea.

Monroe's at Sears: I considered these after reading billy ray's reply. The problem here is that I've been bitten by the Edelbrock IAS marketing machine, which started this whole thing... billy ray seems to think that the Edelbrock IAS shocks are off-road shocks. I do not know, this is why I asked.

Carl and Lon helped solidify my desire for the IAS's.

bobmct didn't play. I appreciate bobmct's opinion and thought about it some. I considered OEM shocks. The 'UpCountry' OEM replacement shocks might be a good choice.

And thanks to Sparky, but the OME shocks do not seem appropriate for this situation.

Thanks to the following folks in no particular order. I apologize if I missed somebody, I did read all the replies my ISP provided.

dougw:

I like mine, but if I had to do it again (and will in about another year) I would go with some air-adjustable ones like the Rancho. Pushed these shocks hard and they work well. Thing is I'm not so sure they don't sustain deathwobble by being softer when the suspension is relaxed. Probably a better shock for the rear axle. Then again the design has had over nine years to mature since I got mine.

billy ray:

Sears has Monroe GasMatic LT shocks on sale 40% off ($17.99)

I'm guessing by the vehicle type (5.9 Limited), previous 'improvements' (Yokohama Geolander tires, K&N air intake, and Flowmaster exhaust) that this ZJ never went any further off the pavement than parking in a field for the county fair.

Unless you seriously plan on going off-road I would not buy off-road shocks and you will not appreciate their on-road ride.

Carl: I had edelbrock IAS on a TJ. They were a little bouncy, but that's a TJ. Overall, I liked them.

Lon: Kinda depends on you. The Rancho RSX9000 adjustable allows you to change your shocks from highway to offroad. The newest version of their control *appears* to have resolved most of the leak issues with the older units. If your Nevada trip includes some of the higher speed non-highway but non-hardcore trails, they are kinda nice as you can cruise a bit higher speed without needing a kidney belt. Then if you go into the rougher trails you can adjust them again quickly. I have these, with the newer model remote and do like the ability to change damping quickly between highway and offroad--since my creditors prefer I spend most time on road.

For general highway use with your off-road never needing to rock crawl, the Edelebrock IAS is an excellent choice.

bobmct: FWIW: I put those on my 96 JGC and quite frankly I didn't like them. After another 30K or so I replaced them with new OEM HD shocks which are still in service at 175K. So spend your money on different product.

Sparky: I use and recommend the OME (Old Man Emu) shocks.

Reply to
Doug

Sounds like a solid choice, Doug. I've never used OME (old man emu) but they do come very highly reccomended. You can check them out at

.

Let us know how you like whichever ones you get.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Check 4 Wheel Parts if you have a local one. They used to regularly sell the Edelbrock IAS [and the Rancho adjs] at 4 for the price of 3.

Carl proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Again, Thanks to everybody who responded. I suspect you all forgot about this as it took me quite some time get it done.

I bought the Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks from eshocks.com and had them installed by a local shop.

My drive home of ~2 miles on a 35MPH road left me wishing I had listened to billy ray. Maybe there is a bit of break-in...

The next day I drove ~ 15 miles on the freeway and my wife and I were extremely happy with the ride. The reduced body roll on the circular on and off ramps was impressive.

The problem here is that I only have the original well worn shocks for comparison. Maybe the Sears Monroe's would have been just as nice.

The bottom line is that I am happy with my choice.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Edelbrock IAS shocks are real nice on hard bumpy trails. I've pounded the snot out of mine on some real rough backroads and it felt like I was cruising over the bumps.

Reply to
DougW

Doug, Thanks for the follow up, glad you like 'em.

Carl

Reply to
Carl