SILLY QUESTION -- JUST NEED AN OPINION FROM EVERYONE

I am going to be replacing the windshield hinges, upper and lower door hinges, and hood hinges on my 2006 Wrangler X (just to prevent rust in the future). I am torn between getting the 304 stainless steel with the high polished mirror finish or the black chrome finish over the

304 stainless steel. My jeep is the Midnight Blue metallic (navy blue) color. Which one would look better? I also am going to be putting on nerf bars (preferably stainless) and would also like to install the euro guard headlight/side marker/parking/tail light guards but I am not sure which color of these yet (depends on the color of all the hinges). Anyone have any suggestions or know anything about the black chrome (i.e. does it flake, chip, peel, etc.)? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. THANKS
Reply to
Tracie

I did that on my 1995 Wrangler when it was new. OK, the stainless doesn't rust but that isn't why we do this sort of thing, now is it? The door and windshield hinges are a sob to get adjusted right, and if you get the cheap ones (any brand but Kentrol) you are going to be sorry. If you put Steel Horse parts of any description on your Jeep you are going to be real sorry. Stainless scratches if you touch it and then you make it look worse when you try to polish it. The bolts that these parts tend to come with are a joke. Go to your local Ace Hardware store and get some hex head cap screws in stainless. You will love them. Much better than the Allen head joke screws you get with stainless parts.

There is no such thing as "black chrome". The black hinges and such are powder coated. This stuff chips and comes off unless it is primed right at the factory, and sometimes even then.

Good luck.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It takes more than a touch to scratch it as it is pretty tuff and it is not hard to polish out scratches if you do it right. You just need the right method and compound.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I have heard of Kentrol. They are supposed to be good. Anybody know anything about Rugged Ridge stainless hinges?

Reply to
Tracie

There are some 'real' bad suppliers of 'stainless' out there. The worst was 'stealhorse' which had to dump the name and farm out under new names because no one would buy their products anymore. Their 'stainless' came rusted right in the package, literally, as I have seen a few.

I don't know what names they are trying to sucker people under these days unfortunately, maybe others do?

Kentrol is known for stainless that lasts.

If you plan on off roading, plan on your hinges getting scratched. They are the last place a branch hooks up on as it slides past your hood. Snoman doesn't off road so he has no experience with 'custom pin striping' on his J10 snowplow. LOL!

I have never seen any coatings that would stay on stainless over time. They all chip off. Not saying some newer stuff might not stick, but...

If I ever get more money than I know what to do with, after I put a new frame in my CJ7 Laredo, I might go with stainless hinges to match my chrome and stainless 'Laredo' package.

Mike

Mike Romain

The alloy SS it is play a big roll in quality too. I would ask them what alloy they are using because some SS alloys are not good for this. (they use them because it is easier to machine)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Heh, unless you're a metallurgist what they tell you will be meaningless. There is of course a compromise between durability and machine-ability. Watch out for "chrome" parts too. Chrome plating is a different process than stainless. Are there lots of stainless and chromed J-10 parts available?

Saludos,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

You want to look for 304 stainless. Most other grades have to much carbon.

Don't bother painting stainless... IMO it seems pointless even if you do get it to stick.

Reply to
Heatwave

hi all,

304 SS is also known as muffler stainless, it isn't a high grade of stainless steel, it is pretty soft (as SS goes), it is easily machined (especially with an L alloyed in) or formed / bent. corrosion resistance (penetration resistance) is pretty good but for cosmetic applications it won't hold a high polish or resist scratches.

most u.s. built cars / trucks with SS exhaust systems use 304 SS.

it will not however red rust or white corrode which would already be a big improvement over the hinges and mirror brackets on my TJ.

reboot

Reply to
reboot

Not if you know how to look alloys up because you can find out in a few minute or less on internt for ANY alloy or any metal. I used to know the major alloys but I would have to look them up to. (I still remember some steel and aluminum ones though)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

[snips]

I use 304 for my chopper parts and they seem to hold a polish. I googled Kentrol + 304 and found Kentrol uses a lot of 304 stainless. I just thought I'd say if you are looking for stainless parts and they don't state "304" stainless you might want to stay clear of them so you don't run into the same problem Mike did. 316 is another good alloy of stainless...if you ever see parts made from it.

Reply to
Heatwave
316 Stainless is the alloy most used on the parts we make for the local shipyard here, obviously for corrosion resistance. The corrosion resistance is superior to most other stainless alloys, but expect to pay for it. Not only is the metal more expensive, it is a bitch to machine compared to 303 or 304. This stuff will wear out carbide tooling in our CNC lathe easily 5 times faster than 303/304 will.

Chris

FrankW wrote:

When I was into salt water aquariums I was looking up Stainless steel for use with them. If I remember correctly

304 stainless will last 10 years before it "starts" to corrode. 316 sta> >
Reply to
FrankW

I own the same vehicle. Go all out and buy a grille cover and vent cover. I also bought a new front bumper with the plastic inserts for the ends..new tire cover..new bikini top and deck cover. Oh yes..and new tow hooks. I am not going to be doing any serious off-roading until my Jeep gets old but to do trail rides in Ct. you must have tow hooks. Oh...and some Back Off mud guards.

Reply to
SkyKing49

Well 316 is also termed "marine grade" stainless. For production its best to "investment cast" 316 as close to its final shape as you can and then machine it the rest of the way to save tooling. You might even have sink drains in your home made with 316. For Jeep parts though the most you will probably find 316 in is nuts, bolts, washers, and Shackles.

Reply to
Heatwave

Another thing I was real hot to put stainless on the Jeep and "prevent rust", but now that I have the color mismatched half doors (it came with full doors) that doesn't seem so important anymore. Driving it, that's what's cool.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Actually, yes there is. While the hinges and such in question might be powder coated, black chrome does in fact exist.

Reply to
Tom Greening

Not in 4wd parts catalogs though.

Thanks, didn't know that.