Size speaker in console????

2003 Jeep Wrangler - Anyone know what size subwoofer speaker is in the console? I was thinking of upgrading and wondered what size aftermarket speaker I could replace it with. Anybody ever tore into that thing?
Reply to
Todd

Todd did pass the time by typing:

Dunno.. have you tried the search on Crutchfield.com?

Reply to
DougW

I think it's an 8" (I've got one too - pretty disappointing). It needs a drastic change in its crossover point but that might not help much either. Doubt if it will go go below 60hz - maybe not even that low. An equalizer would do wonders to make it sound better.

Reply to
j carter

having seen the TJ center console recently at the salvage yard, I suspect it's a 6" sub, I didn't actually look inside, but the TJ's console is significantly smaller than the YJ console and I only just managed to fit an 8" JL sub in there.

If your sub is inside some sort of sealed box within the console with a hole or "vent" as the only outside opening then it's probably a 6" sub in what's called a "bandpass" enclosure... the size of this type of enclosure and the size/length of the vent are VERY speaker specific. One of the only ways to get loud deep sub bass (in the 60Hz to mid 20Hz range) out of a really small speaker is using that style of box. A lot of computer 4.1 and 5.1 surround sound systems have a bandpass subwoofer box.

If you open it and want to change the speaker to something with more power handling you might want to check into the stock speakers specs, and try to match them as closely as possible with any higher wattage sub you look at. If you end up with a replacement of the same size that requires a larger box and different vent size you could end up with a subwoofer that sounds like someone punching the side of your jeep. Not deep powerful resonant bass, but extremely peaked (if the replacement speaker requires a smaller bandpass box) or possibly extremely muddy much less audible base (if the speaker requires a larger enclosure).

Reply to
Simon Juncal

I'm pretty sure it is a 6". I'm going on my third one after only a year. They're pretty flimsy, IMO. If you find a decent replacement for it, let me know.

Reply to
Matt